Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Lots


Confession: I have a severe addiction to fountain soda. I love it even more when it's Pepsi or Cherry Coke. I think it started in college, when the only soda I drank was fountain soda, since that's what all the dining halls had. This past year as I have been on my own, I am discovering that I crave it. I can buy canned soda at the grocery store, but it's truly not the same thing. I need the bubbly fountain-es that comes in a cup with a straw (even better if it's a bendy straw) and good ice (I prefer crushed).

Now that I am done confessing my love for fountain soda, I will move on to other important developments in my life.

School is getting close! I have been at my new school every day this week trying to get stuff done. On Monday, I met the other new teacher in 4th grade who will be my partner. After meeting her, I became even more excited about this school year. She's around my age, which is exciting because we've already found a lot that we have in common. Last year, I spent most the year feeling completely on my own, and I know that I had nothing in common with my team. They ate lunch together everyday in one of the teacher's rooms, and never once asked me to join them. That should give you a good idea of how much we got along. But anyway....that's the past! I now have a new partner, who I am pretty psyched about working with. I will be teaching the math and she's doing the reading. As a student, I never enjoyed math, but I love teaching it. As a student, I always had A's in language arts. Loved it! Now, as a teacher, I dread teaching reading. It was the most painful part of my day last year. I know my school year won't be perfect, but I do know that it's starting off well!

Yesterday and today I started the unpacking and cleaning that comes with moving into a new room. I have a long way to go, but some progress has been made. I also got up my bulletin board papers and borders. Teachers out there...does this ever get easier? It takes me forever to put up the paper! But it's done now, and I can go into work week knowing those are already finished.
My lovely closet space. So much still has to go in here


The room is a mess...but it's slowly improving!

Reading area, still have more books to put on the shelves, and my mom is going to make some big pillows to put on the ground!

At least that bulletin board is done!

So anyhow, this is what I've been doing lately. Well, this and playing Mario Kart with my husband. A friend of ours gave us this game for the Wii as our wedding present, and we're LOVING it. We've gotten pretty competitive, and it's rare that I win. But I do want to post on here, for all to see, that I won a race last night. I only beat him by 2 points, but in the end, that's all I needed to brag for the next 24 hours.

And seriously, there will be a honeymoon post soon, I promise!

8 comments:

  1. I'm still in love with Mt Dew!!

    I like your classroom! I hope this year will be better for you! Have fun getting comfy in your classroom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i miss being at school and with the kids...sounds like you are going to have a great school year!!!...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bulletin boards always seem to take so long, the room always looks like yours and just before the kids arrive, the whole thing magically turns into this awesome place where the children leanr and you love teaching! It sounds like you are on your way to a positive experience. You had to go through last year so you can totally appreciate what you now have!!! You've been there, and can appreciate where you are now at...which totally puts you in a different mindset that makes even the worst of days better than the best of days back then! KWIM?
    I am thinking of you and cant wait to hear about your meet the teacher days and seeing that room develop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love seeing all your wedding pics. The bracelet is just beautiful, so glad you found it. Looks like you classroom is shaping up nicely. They are going to love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you'll have that room in tip-top shape in no time! How nice that your mother is making you pillows.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's going to be so fun for you to return to school and your students start calling you Mrs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Rachel,

    I just wanted to let you know that I nominated you for the "I Love Your Blog Award" You can find more info on my blog.

    Here is the code for the picture that you can put on your blog:

    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_oTGORcdKWYI/SKTSiwQdMGI/AAAAAAAAA7c/r-M7HIJBgHk/S220/AwardIloveyourblog_thumb_thumb.png

    ~Amber~

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE signs of school!! I am ordering boys' school books tonight, so be on the lookout for a luscious post of beautiful books! We use Sonlight Curriculum which is ALL books, yummy books!!

    I love all your fun school stuff; I can't wait to get my classroom set up!! (well,ok - it's my kitchen table for now!)

    I LOVE your confession!! I get the BIGGEST fountain soda at 7-11 (for like $1.00) It is my little treat!

    ReplyDelete