Wednesday, September 17, 2008

a welcomed change


School is so delightful these days. My students make me laugh, they make me work hard, and they make me excited for school. They enjoy learning, which, in turn, allows me to enjoy teaching.
Last spring, I was ready to leave teaching altogether after the year I was having. Last year was my first year, which is difficult for any teacher, but it was also in a rough school where most kids came from project housing. I had very poor support and I was expected to do unrealistic things with these kids. I spent most my day in survival mode, and a good day meant we got a solid 60 minutes of instruction in.
Here we are, a few months later, and I go to bed every night looking forward to waking up in the morning to go to work. It's nice to get a paycheck to do something you love. I've had my kids for a total of 12 days, and in those 12 days, we have done and accomplished more than my last class did in our first 9 weeks. These children are so different from my last group, and while I realize both groups need good teachers, I know for a fact that I am not cut out to be an inner city teacher. It was not good for me, and it was not good for the kids. I now go to a job where I feel like I am excelling. I see knowledge building in my students, and I see engagement in my class on a daily basis. I have an inclusion class (regular ed and special ed), and although these kids have difficulties, I still see excitement in their eyes as we learn new things.

This new journey of mine, it's such a welcomed change...a beautiful change.

4 comments:

  1. Everything looks so peaceful..sounds like your heart is too! yay for a great start to a good school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE YOUR ROOM!
    Great update! I know exactly how you feel and it doesn't get any better than that! Oh wait, yes it does. Next summer after school lets out...you will be laying on the beach with Layla next to you and it will dawn on you a paycheck was direct deposited in your account because you opted to have your checks strung out over the year! I know it is all the same...but something about sleeping in on a Friday and still getting a paycheck! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im struggling to pass PRAXIS exam. Im taking a pause on 'teaching & PRAXIS exams', I currently got hired as a SUB (so that's it for now). But sometimes I question if teaching is really for me ? PRAXIS is hard, especially if I've been OUT OF COLLEGE for 10 yrs. I'm GLAD you enjoy teaching & survived your FIRST year. Wanna travel ? www.Dodea.edu (always hiring teachers overseas). I'm a military spouse.

    ReplyDelete