Sunday, November 23, 2008

proud pecan pie


This is what my morning has consisted of up until this point. Reading my new Real Simple and eating the pecan pie I made yesterday. When I saw this recipe on Pioneer Woman's* cooking blog last week, I knew I had to make it. Not only is pecan pie my absolute favorite pie in the world, but this was also the first time I have ever made it. I usually only eat pecan pie each year at Thanksgiving when my nana makes it, and I occasionally eat a slice at random diners I happen to stop in. I saw PW's recipe, and I was highly motivated to try it. She manages to make every recipe look easy, and for the first time, I thought that I might be able to make this heavenly dessert on my own.
The pie was pretty easy to make. It had simple ingredients, and didn't even take that long. But the crust....well, that was much harder than I had anticipated. For starters, I had never worked with crisco before, and two, we don't have a rolling pin or a pastry cutter, both of which I have leanred are sort of essential to making a pie crust. Next time I make this pie, I will most likely be using a Pillsbury pie crust, now that I know how difficult making a crust is. And I am sure you're all wondering how I made my pie without a rolling pin. Nalgene bottle. It was a decent back up, but I still want a rolling pin now. But, despite my lack of tools and the greasy, messy crisco, I was still able to pull out a decent crust which doesn't taste too bad. And since the pie filling is so delicious and perfect, the crust is hardly even noticeable.
What is your favorite kind of pie? And have you ever had as much trouble with pie crust as I did, or am I just a poor pie crust baker?

*If you don't read PW, shame on you. For a portion of my life, I was kind of obsessed with Rachael Ray. But those days are long gone now that I have Pioneer Woman in my life. Not only does she make me laugh in everything that I read, but her blog is chock full of all kinds of good stuff. In addition to cooking and recipes, the girl also has tons of great photography tips, gardening advice, and the hilarious stories about her life on a cattle ranch. And then there's my favorite section, which if you start reaing, you'll never want to stop, Black Heels and Tractor Wheels. I often tell my husband that I want to move to a cattle ranch, have a giant rustic kitchen, and have 5 dogs running around our house. Is that too much to ask for?

5 comments:

  1. congrats on making that crust w/ improvised supplies!..lol, i know that could not have been easy...i LOVE pecan pie, chocolate, key lime...hmmm, and, many more....i have not read any of her stuff, just visited the blog a few times...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup, love love love P-Dub! Congrats on the pie!! Yes, pie crust is hard. I grew up at my momma's side learning how to make crust, so I'm pretty seasoned. You did good improvising on the rolling pin, and instead of a pastry cutter you can use potato masher or simply two knives (butter knives) swished/slashed against each other in the bowl. Don't give up on pie crust, it's too much fun to make! (and with the leftover dough, you roll it out, sprinkle with a ton of cinnamon sugar, roll up and slice into tiny spirals and bake. Mmmmm)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Popping in from SIS!

    Love, LOVE Pecan pie, key lime pie, and chocolate chip pie too! Ok, I like pie in general!

    I have a great crust recipe - I'll dig it up and post it for you.

    Love Real Simple too - my go-to mag!

    ReplyDelete
  4. too funny about PW!!
    one of the administrators dan works with made the most scrumptuous pecan pie i've ever eaten! i have aspirations of making her recips on thanksgiving but i think i might have to use the ole' pillsbury crust too!
    i'll keep ya posted!
    xo

    ReplyDelete