Monday, April 20, 2009

my kitchen testimony

This is our kitchen. Our teeny, tiny, poor designed kitchen. There are few things I like in this kitchen, but even I can't be a total hater. It has a few (a very small few) redeeming qualities.


Things we hate about this kitchen:
  • The appliances. The oven is so small that it doesn't hold some of my pans. It sparked and sort of caught on fire once. The stove. This is probably my second least favorite part of the kitchen. Many of the burners don't work. It's also electric which I hate. And it's filthy. I guess I could work on that last part...And then there's the sink. It is an off white color and stains terribly. You must rinse out the sink immediately after dumping any thing dark down the sink, or it will permanently stain in minutes.
  • The size. As you can see form the picture, our kitchen doesn't have much room. J and I have become better at working in here together, but, as you can imagine, it's tight. The small size also limits our counter space. We have one decent size space where we do most the work. The rest of the time, we're storing prep items in all kinds of funny places (on top of the microwave, in the sink, on burners that aren't being used).
  • The floors. They're nasty, gross, dirty, and UGLY. And we really do clean them. J is a great mopper, but nothing can totally clean these floors. Oh, and did I mention they're cracking in a few places? We're high class with floors like these!
  • The number one thing, I hate more than anything else about this kitchen...the counter tops. We have light pink marble linoleum counter tops. And oh. my. goodness. They're hideous. If you go back and look at some of my food or recipe posts you may be able to get a better picture of these terrible counters. And like our nice floors, they are also cracking. We joke about how when we move, the first thing we have to do is figure out how we can bring these counter tops with us.
Things I actually have found to love about this kitchen:
  • The window. As you can see from the photo, our kitchen gets pretty great natural sunlight, which is something I love in a room. I take a lot of pictures here because of the great lighting. It's also nice to open this window while cooking. I love a great breeze to flow through the kitchen, especially when I happen to burn something!
  • The time I've spent in here. Despite the crappy conditions that we have been given to work with, I do love spending hours here. Before moving here, I had a few things I enjoyed cooking, but since August when I moved here, I have become a pretty decent cook! Through all of my time in this kitchen, I've come to love it and all of its downfalls.

One day I will have a kitchen like Pioneer Woman (she has my dream kitchen home), but for now, I will be happy for the little kitchen that we do have. It may be pretty pathetic, but it sure does have character! And if I can make delicious meals in this kitchen, I can't wait to see what I'm capable of in a real cooking space with appliances that actually do what they were made for!

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, that's a pretty narrow kitchen. It would be hard to get any help in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I totally relate. Although, pink countertops might take the cake! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hang in there friend!!! ull get ur dream kitchen one of these days! And Im glad you still have good cooking memories in there.. i love your positivity:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. well...it's an older apartment. One day you'll miss that tiny little kitchen and memories you and J have made there!! :)

    ReplyDelete