Sunday, May 31, 2009

book club

Tonight, I will be attending my first ever book club. I've never been in a book club, and I only kind of know one of the other members from work, so I am a little nervous about going; however, I'm also pretty excited!

One of the PE assistants at our school is a friend of mine on Facebook, and she was always writing about what book she was reading in her status. This led to me commenting on most of her book choices, as I had already read them. She eventually invited me to a book club she's in, and tonight's the big night. I just finished reading THIS fabulous book a few days ago, and I'm excited to discuss it tonight.


The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is actually a children's book, but it's so beautifully written and tells such a sweet tale. I am considering using it as a read aloud in my class next year. Kate DiCamillo is a fabulous author (she also wrote Because of Winn Dixie and The Tale of Despereaux), and she makes this simple story about a porcelain rabbit seem so real and genuine. And more importantly, the book has a powerful message.

I am also making a fabulous little dish to take with me tonight to share. I'll share that recipe tomorrow! It's so simple, delicious, and fairly healthy!

9 comments:

  1. Aww have fun!! You're such a wonderful inspiration to pick up a book more often...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to join a book club!!! Maybe I will do that one day!! Can't wait for you to tell us all about it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First of all, I love that book. Furthermore, the author is amazing. Last, I am so so so so sad they made a movie of The Tale of Desperaux. I have read that book to my class every year since she has written it. I loved that book SO much and now I am sad it is a movie.
    Have fun at your book club!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love hearing about new books, so please keep us posted on your new books.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love book clubs....

    Just blog hopping today and enjoyed reading your blog...

    I am posting on our Disney trip so hope you will stop by. Also, the June giveaway starts today...all comments left in June will be in the drawing for the "June Card Box"! You will have to go down a few posts to read about the monthly giveaway.

    Happy Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the book club seems like a fun idea! i like opinions on reads!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have a great time! I've always wanted to join a book club. Who doesn't love reading?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i bet you'll have so much fun! i've thought about joining one but never have! you'll have to tell us how it goes=)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am jealous of your book club. Today I managed to get my hands on little Edward Tulane's story. Oh my goodness, it broke my heart & mended it again. It was so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I LOVED it! :)

    ReplyDelete