Friday, May 22, 2009

rainbow trout

For those who don't know, my husband and I spent our honeymoon on the Oregon Coast. Being East Coasters, we wanted to spend the week somewhere relaxing, and somewhere neither of us had been. How we finally decided on the Oregon Coast, I don't really remember how or why that was our final decision; however, it was the perfect location for us.

We stayed at a charming B&B, and in our little cottage, we found a binder full of local attractions. The binder ranged from beautiful day hikes, to romantic restaurants, to a rainbow trout farm. Yes. Rainbow trout. As in a farm of fish.

Being the adventurers we are, we had to make a trip. Actually, let me go back. J saw it in the binder. I thought it sounded like the dumbest honeymoon event ever. Feeding rainbow trout on my honeymoon? This is not a story I want to share with my grandkids one day. But alas, I sucked it up and went on the adventure to the rainbow trout farm. And an adventure it was!

We pulled up, and there was (obviously) no one else there. I was whining and complaining, but J just ignored me. We walked through the small fence to find gumball machines full of rainbow trout food and empty tuna cans. We filled the cans with food and I threw a pellet into the lifeless pond.

Nothing happened. I complained some more about this dumb event. We were wasting time throwing smelly pellets into a smelly pond.

Until......
Out of nowhere, around 15 rainbow trout fly into the air in a battle to eat that pellet. All of the sudden, rainbow trout farms became cool. We stayed for twenty minutes watching this crazy spectacle. We'd throw in a piece, I'd freak out as I waited for the madness to happen, and J would laugh.

And this, my friends, is the story of the time we visited a rainbow trout farm on our honeymoon. I'd highly recommend it for your next vacation.

3 comments:

  1. This is a cute story! With cute pictures to follow it up! I probably would not have wanted to go do this either though lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, this is awesome! We also had an "unconventional" honeymoon (to Montreal and Vermont) and filled it with interesting activities.
    Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahah!!!

    ahhh i love rainbow trout. that was the first kind of fish i ever caught with my hubby!

    ReplyDelete