Thursday, June 4, 2009

Barbecue Recipe

After many requests from my last post, here's my crock pot barbecue recipe! Apparently you girls are in desperate need for some good barbecue recipes! I didn't take any pictures of the finished product, so you'll have to imagine how yummy it looked (and smelled)! My recipe originally came from here, but I made a few changes. Below is my adjusted recipe that I went with...

INGREDIENTS

  • 1 1/2 pounds pork shoulder
  • 1 small yellow onion
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon dry mustard
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 1/2 cups ketchup
  • 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons of white vinegar

Directions

  1. In the slow cooker, combine pork, onion, garlic, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, pepper, ketchup, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; mix well, and cover. Cook on Low, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 hours or until the meat is tender. I put mine in the crock pot at 7 AM and served it around 6PM, so it cooked for about 11 hours.
  2. OR : In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, combine pork, onion, garlic, brown sugar, dry mustard, salt, pepper, ketchup, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce; mix well. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and cover. Simmer, stirring occasionally, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until pork is tender.
  3. Serve over buns with cole slaw and delicious sides!
Hopefully, some of you will get to enjoy this as much as J and I did. It really was yummy. And I think it's safe to say the leftovers we've been taking for lunch have been ever yummier!

Several commenters also requested my sweet potato fry recipe. I could live off of sweet potato fries. Seriously, they're one my favorite sides with dinner. Heck, I'd eat just them for dinner! Next time I make them, I'll take some pictures and do a step by step post! In the meantime, pick up the Trader Joes frozen sweet potato fries. They are pretty good. Not as good as the real deal, but an excellent substitute for lazy nights when I have no energy. Top them with a little chili powder, and then enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. This sounds so yummy!! I will have to try it!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg sweet potato fries are my absolute faaaaavorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you thank you thank you! I am so excited to try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You had me at sweet potato fries. lol
    I love both BBQ pork AND sweet potato fries- seriously those two together and I'd be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my gosh- I can't wait until I get back to cooking so I can make this! yum, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Made the recipe this week for our monthly church potluck. It was a hit!!

    Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete