Sunday, July 12, 2009

Another crock pot BBQ for ya...

Last month I shared a pulled pork barbecue recipe on here, and it sounds like several of you either tried it or were planning on trying it. It was quite the hit!

Since I now know that there are some serious barbecue eating readers out there, I have another recipe that you've got to try. This one is a Carolina barbecue, which for those who don't know, Carolina Barbecue is usually made with a vinegar based sauce and Virginia barbecue is made with a tomato based sauce. Both are delicious, but certainly different. The barbecue I shared last month was a Virginia barbecue, hence all the ketchup in the sauce. The one I'm sharing with you today is made up of mostly apple cider vinegar.

I found the recipe here, but, like last time, I made a few adjustments. Below is the recipe I used when I made it. My adjusted recipe was enough for about 5 sandwiches.

Here it is in the crock pot before I took it out to shred it!

Carolina Barbecue Pulled Pork

1 onion, quartered
2 T brown sugar
1 T smoked paprika
2 t salt
½ t ground black pepper
1 (2lb) pork butt or shoulder roast
(I got a shoulder roast)

Sauce Ingredients
1 c cider vinegar
1/3 c soy sauce
1 ½ t crushed red pepper flakes
2 t sugar
½ t dry mustard
1 T garlic salt
¼ t cayenne pepper

Place onions in crock pot. Blend brown sugar, paprika, salt and pepper; rub over roast. Place roast in crock pot.

Combine vinegar, soy sauce, red pepper flakes, sugar, mustard, garlic salt and cayenne pepper and stir to mix well. Drizzle about 1/3 of mixture over roast. Cover and refrigerate remaining mixture. Cook roast on low for 8-10 hours. Remove meat and onions, discard onions and shred meat. Add juices from crock pot and remaining vinegar mixture (a portion may be reserved to pass). Serve plain or as sandwiches.

I served our barbecue on kaiser rolls and we ate it with pasta salad. A very easy meal, and so delicious! Maybe I'll do another post with my oh so very simple pasta salad recipe.

5 comments:

  1. Oh my that looks delicious! Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will definitely be trying this out. It looks delicious. Almost makes me wish I had seen it earlier today and had made it for dinner tonight. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for commenting, that is so cool you went to JMU! I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This meal looks pretty darn good! I haven't cRocked' it in awhile. Maybe next week I'll do this!
    itsheavenly.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete