Friday, July 10, 2009

a good book and the beach


I spent my morning by the ocean trying to finish the book I'm currently enthralled with, American Wife. It was a beautiful morning to sit by the waves and get some sun. And there's really no better place to be wrapped up in a book than when you're by the water. I've always loved reading on my vacations, and now that school is out and we're living so close to the beach, it feels like a permanent vacation some days. Such a blessing!

I decided to read American Wife after reading Newlywed Next Door's review a few months ago. I picked it up from the library two weeks ago and I am really enjoying it. If you don't know anything about the book, it's a fictional memoir of a first lady, and from what I've read online and in the forward at the beginning of the book, I know it's loosely based on the life of Laura Bush, a woman who I truly admire. Curtis Sittenfeld is the author, and while I've never read any of her other work, I've decided that I'm a fan. I've got about 50 pages left and I hope to finish it this evening.

Before I finish, I want to say thanks for all your television suggestions on my last post. I 've added a few things to my Netflix queue!

6 comments:

  1. You should read her other book "Prep", it was good, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard a lot about that book and really want to read it. I'll have to check it out from the library!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved American Wife! It picks up and gets even better towards the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh when I read this post at work earlier today, boy was I jealous of you!!! A good "beach read" is the classic is "Peyton Place." Very scandalous for the 1950s!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like fun!! Wish I was there with ya!! I'm currently reading Dead Until Dark, the book series that True Blood is based on. Love the series. I want to see how different the books are. Beth/Cutepumpkin gave me all of the books in the series, so my summer reading is pretty much set. Have fun at the beach!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would love to be on a beach with a good book! I have heard great things about aw. I need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete