Wednesday, July 22, 2009

July '08 vs. July '09

A year ago I was a crazy person trying to finish programs, favors, guest bags...etc. Glad to have that in the past.

Now, I'm a level headed gal just trying to finalize the details for the road trip that we leave for on Friday. Tomorrow, I'm headed to the store to stock up on car snacks. I've got a pretty solid list, but I'm still open to suggestions! And the healthier the snack, the better. I know we're going to be eating out a lot, so the healthier we can keep the snacking, the happier I'll be!

In addition to food planning, I'm trying to figure out what books to bring along. Here's what I've got and what I'm considering bringing with me....
  • A Sophie Kinsella novel I got at the library. A solid chick lit option
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns...a friend let me borrow her copy forever ago, and maybe I'll finally get around to reading it (thanks LES!).
  • The Longest Trip Home by John Grogan (author of Marley & Me). Got this one as a Christmas gift and have not picked it up, yet.
  • Blue Like Jazz...After many recommendations, I've wanted to read this for about 4 years, just never made the effort to do so. Maybe this will be the right time. I bought it about six months ago, so it's on my shelf and ready to go!
  • The Daily Five...a terribly boring book I want to read before school starts to help with Language Arts. Thrilling, I know!
I've got a $25 Barnes and Noble gift card, so any last minute suggestions are welcome! Feel fee to look at my Goodreads list to see what kind of books I'm interested in and have enjoyed in the past!

15 comments:

  1. Came across you blog! Very interesting! I love what you did with your programs!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blue Like Jazz is a good read!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that you enjoyed Anne Lammott! You will probably LOVE Blue Like Jazz...I really enjoyed it, but my fav by Donald Miller was Searching for God Knows What. Also, have you read anything by Lauren Winner? She writes a lot like Anne Lammott... my favorite by her is called Girl Meets God.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am reading Sophie Kinsella's newest book I got at the library today. So far I am really liking it!! She is the best for chick lit!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of Sophia Kinsella's books. Although I haven't read her newest, but I'm sure I'd like that as well.

    As in suggestions, I saw The Other Boleyn Girl on your Goodreads list. If you interested in more historical fiction I'd recommend anything by Jean Plaidy. She does has a few books on Anne Bolyen, but tons others of various English Queen & Kings

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently reading The Almost Moon, I really like it so far!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A book called The Luxe is really good. Also the first sookie stackhouse book is good, Dead Until Dark.

    I bet you'd really like The Luxe though! It's set in the 1800's in NYC and follows an upper class family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blue Like Jazz IS amazing. It took me a few tries and a few years to finally get through it, but it's worth it. I want to read The Time Traveler's Wife next in preparation for the movie coming out next month :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. For healthier options of snacks my hunny always likes to pack pretzels, then in a cooler he packs fresh fruit like strawberries, grapes, watermellon cubes. For me, goldfish are always yummy:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've always wanted to read Blue Like Jazz, I've heard such good things about it! Another good one is Girl Meets God, it was great! More memoir than anything, though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your programs are so cute! I love all of Sophie Kinsella's books. She is my fave!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the programs, so pretty. I'm not good for book recommendations since I like book like LA Candy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You all definitely need Baked Doritos! My fav road trip snack! Have fun with all the packing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Splendid Suns is a chilling book in my opinion. It was a challenge fo me to read- so sad. But it is very well written and I never wanted to put it down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I haven't read any of those, so I'll be adding them to my list. So fun what can happen in a year-- and doesn't your wedding feel like it was just yesterday?

    ReplyDelete