Sunday, August 9, 2009

And we're back...

We're safe and sound and back home from our big road trip! 3,400+ miles later, and we're back in our cozy little apartment. After two weeks on the road, staying in ten different places, we're very happy to be back home in our own bed, making food in our own kitchen, and showering in our own shower. We got back to Virginia on Friday evening. We stayed at my parents' place and picked up the dog who was staying there. We got back yesterday morning around 11 AM. I've never been so happy to throw myself down on our couch!

I have SO many pictures (600+) and so many stories to share. Visiting different parts of the country (and Canada) was a great experience. I got to see Michigan, Wisconsin, and Ohio all for the first time, along with my first trip to Canada. We tried new foods that are popular in different places, and best of all we got to see a lot of family and friends who live along the route we drove.

Instead of bombarding you with hundreds of pictures, I'm gonna share a handful of favorites. There will be posts in the future telling some of my favorite stories, but for now, I'll just share a few snapshots and some captions, so you can get an idea of what we've been up to for the past two weeks:

Minutes before we hit the road...

At a Phillies/Cardinals game in Philadelphia. Phillies dominated in this game.

Walking around the Princeton campus in NJ. A beautiful school!

Hattie's: Where we had dinner on our anniversary in Saratoga Springs, NY. Delicious southern cooking in upstate NY. We were hesitant to try it, being the southerners that we are, but it was well worth it. It was some of the best fried chicken I've ever had.

One of our adorable nieces who we spent some time with on Lake Champlain.

Another one of our cute nieces, this time looking stylish with J

J and I with the Adirondacks behind us. This is at the top of Giant Mountain.

At Niagara Falls...pretty incredible. A sight like this reminds you how small you really are.

Maid of the Mist! We rode on one of these boats into the falls!

This is me in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan with Lake Huron behind me.

Arriving in Wisconsin!

We got to see J's cousin and her husband perform in a local community theater production of The Wedding Singer: The Musical.

We spent three great days with J's grandfather on a lake in Wisconsin.

Visiting a Lakefront Brewery in Milwaukee. $6 for 4 beers, a tour, a souvenir beer glass, and a free beer at a local restaurant. A great activity if you're ever in Milwaukee!

Of course we stocked up on some cheese and cheese curds before we left Wisconsin.

Quick stop in Chicago. We visited The Art Institute of Chicago and had lunch with an old friend of mine.

Spent a night in Indianapolis with a friend of mine from high school. We had a great picnic by a canal and got to listen to high school marching bands!

We got free chicken biscuits at a Chik Fil A in Ohio since we got there after breakfast hours.

And then we finally made it back to beautiful Virginia. However, somewhere along the way in Wext Virginia we got mooned by a big girl on the road. Sadly, there are no photos!


15 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun trip. I would love to take a road trip like that. Glad you made a stop in Chi (my stomping ground). The Art Institute is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks and sounds like your trip was wonderful! Only someone from WV would moon you. I promise she does not represent all of us lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, it looks like so much fun! y'all are adorable!!! i'm dying to take a trip like this now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures! I want to do a 2 week road trip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks liked a beautiful trip! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that looks like the road trip beyond all road trips. especially looove the pics at niagara falls!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like it was an absolute blast! You guys are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Fun trip! Can't wait for more stories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your pictures are so cute! what a wonderful trip!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Came across your blog, you and your husband are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sounded and looked like such a fun trip!! I love that you tweeted your way through it too, so fun! Love all the pics=)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yay! It looks like you had a GREAT time. If only I could find someone to come with me for my 2 week trek across the country...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fantastic trip!! I just love road tripping and seeing the country like that.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great trip! I would love to be able to take 2 weeks and visit both of our families... maybe next year =0)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like an awesome trip!! :)

    ReplyDelete