Tuesday, August 11, 2009

BOXTOPS!

Alright blog world, I am here to beg and plead for your help!


At my school, we participate in a program called Boxtops for Education. Many products have the boxtop image on it (see above) and when you cut it out and send it to a participating school, that school can redeem it for $0.10. Last year my school collected over 30,000 boxtops which resulted in more than $3,000 for us. There's a lot we can do with that money!

In addition to the collecting, we also make it a big school wide competition. Every nine weeks we have a collection day and our PTA collects the boxtops from each class. About a week later they announce the winners for each grade level and the school winners. Last year my class started off doing very poorly. In the spring I sent an email to about a dozen friends and asked if they'd cut their boxtops out for us, and we ended up making it in the top ten for the last quarter. After seeing the success from the help from my friends, one friend suggested I go to the blog world. What a great idea!

I'm sure most of you buy products that have boxtops. Some of the main ones I cut them from are Ziplock, Pillsbury, Hefty, and General Mills cereal. I'm also sure that many of you throw your boxtops away (uhhh, the horror!). If you are feeling so kind and you can give up the forty four cents for a stamp, I'd like to ask for your help. Would you mind saving them for my class and then mailing them to me? My school an I would be very grateful! I'm not going to post my address on here, but if you email me ( innosimplelanguage@gmail.com ) I'd be happy to give it to you so you can send them to me. Even if you cut out just one of two, that is helpful!

If you've read through all this, thank you! I know it seems silly, but I hate the idea of so many people throwing these away when we could redeem for money!

14 comments:

  1. I love programs like this! My boyfriend is a teacher and even though we live in one of the top school districts in the state (ours is a very good program but we are in TN so a lot of our school systems are struggling) there are always things that can help improve the learning process for the kids.

    Another program I love is donorschoose.org!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great thing for you to do and I'd be happy to help! I will try and cut as many as I can remember!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm in, I will save and get your email later, when it's time to mail. No kids the bumpkin, so I always hated throwing them away. I should have took them to the school a block away. I'll trade you all my boxtops for recipes. It's been awhile,, whatcha cookin?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i definitely just scoured my basement and pantry for all the ones i can find ( :

    also-- i heard that you can recycle bottle tops through aveda: http://aveda.aveda.com/aboutaveda/caps.asp

    ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey girl, I never ever use these things and usually just throw them away. I however just bought a couple boxes of stuff and they have the tops on them. Email me your address and I'll send them out to you this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such a good idea to ask people! I would send them to you but I give them to the kids I babysit for and they bring them to their school :) I think it is such an amazing program though! Some products even offer two boxtops!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I used to substitute the kids would be allowed to get prizes if they brought the most in. There were bikes! It was insane. Anyway, I used to mail them home to my second grade cousins but they no longer take them to school with them. My roomie and I have been gathering them all year long! (Some may need to be tossed due to dates). However, I am more than willing to send you our wonderful little baggie full! We are total nerds who love to collect them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd LOVE to help out! Can you e-mail me your address again? I think I have it somewhere, but amidst the move, I have misplaced my address book. labarndt@gmail.com :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have some that I have saved...and I'm not even a teacher! I'll find them for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's a great program. I used to save a bunch when I used to teach. If I come across any, I'll make sure I send them to you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that is so neat! I left you a little something on my blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. THis is a great program and one that our school participates in as well! We also get money from Target and our local grocery store if you sign up for their programs. Do you have those too?

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great idea! I will start cutting them and get your address when I have some saved up!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just found your blog through JLC, and my fiance is a teacher also! I'd love to help! When do you need them by? I'll start looking!

    ReplyDelete