Thursday, August 20, 2009

What's for Dinner?

Yesterday I went to see Julie & Julia (loved it, by the way) and came home wanting to cook up a storm! After a few requests from a few of you, I figured it was time to share what I've been up to in my kitchen!

Last night I made Crash Hot Sweet Potatoes, Corn on the Cob, and Grilled Beer Chicken. According to my husband, I am allowed to make this again next week. I am pretty sure that's code for, "OMG, this is so delicious!"

As I've mentioned before, I have come to love sweet potatoes in the past year. I try to add them into at least one meal a week. Not only can they be cooked in a hundred different ways, but they are also so good for you. This recipe was a little bit of work, but it was well worth it. My only change to the original recipe was I cut out the butter and just used EVOO before I put them in the oven.

Here's a picture after they were boiled...if I were a better blogger I'd have a picture of the finished product, but, unfortunately we had gobbled them up by the time I thought about taking a photo!

Now the beer chicken on the other hand, I didn't cut out any butter, I used the whole stick in the marinade, and it was well worth it. These drum sticks were delicious! We usually just eat chicken breasts, so I thought this might be a fun way to switch it up, although many of the commenters on the recipe post wrote about how they used breasts. Up to you I guess. Either way, this chicken was so juicy and yummy! Additionally, we live in an apartment with no grill. If you're in the same boat, invest in a cast iron grill pan! I'm pretty sure this is the one we have from Target, it's nothing fancy, and it's not too pricey, but it's been doing a fabulous job for two years now!

Enjoy...let me know if you give either of these a try!

7 comments:

  1. Yum!! You can come over next week and cook for us :-)

    I really want to see that movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will you please cook something a little more smiple so that I can at least attempt it! :-) I need to up the anty in my cooking skills!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great new ones! Thanks, it's good to switch out with legs and breasts, we do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was inspired by the movie, too! My friend and I made plans to do some Julia Child cooking this weekend because of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh that chicken looks so good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi
    i'm french and i just discover your blog : i love it !
    I'm teacher too in France...
    Visit my blog if you want it !

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved that movie, but it made me so hungry! That chicken looks amazing too, I'll have to check it out. Yum!

    ReplyDelete