Tuesday, September 8, 2009

1 down, 182 to go.

I survived.

First of all, thanks to those "real life" friends who left me sweet facebook messages, and another thanks to all my "blog friends" who left encouraging blog comments or tweet today. You all were a very bright part of my day.

Day one of school started out rough. Very rough. It was the kind of morning you dream about, only to wake up and say, "Whew, glad that was just a dream!"

Last night after getting in bed, our crazy dog was making bizarre noises under the bed, so I leaned over the bed to see what she was doing. In the process, I must have knocked my cell phone on the floor and it went under her dog bed. Small problem. That cell phone is my alarm for the morning. Fast forward to 6:57 AM when I wake up startled, wondering why I didn't get up at 6 AM, the time I had set my alarm to go off. Oops? Apparently you can't hear an alarm when it's under a giant pillow and a 60 pound dog.

After getting ready in about 6 minutes, I flew out the door.

Next little hiccup of the day, the rain. It was pouring here this morning. Small problem with that; our city loves to flood when we get more than a sprinkling. Our backyard and street had about 4-5 inches of standing water. Lovely. I was so worried the roads would be blocked off and I 'd never make it the interstate which takes me to my school. I somehow made it, and ended up getting to school about twenty minutes before my kids arrived. Not too bad considering how the day began.

Once I made it through my crazy morning, it was a pretty great day. It's so crazy how young these kids seem, though. Last spring my fourth graders were so mature and ready to be fifth graders. Now I have a bunch of "just barely" fourth graders. It's going to take some getting used to, but it's expected. I've got high expectations and I know they'll meet them.

Now I plan to sit on my sofa with some Shiraz and zone out by reading blogs, listening to "The Climb" on repeat (please don't judge, it's been one of those days), and watch TV for the rest of the evening. I'm exhausted. That might have to do with the fact that I wore heels after 3 solid months of tennis shoes and flip flops. Not smart, Rachel.

13 comments:

  1. Well, at least you made it through! Plus, I know the kids probably loved you and your perfectly decorated classroom :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I have been there. Hang in there, friend! What a way to start! Again, so sorry! Hope tomorrow is better! (I recommend flats, too. Purely out of necessity:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you made it, it's all down hill from here! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure it will get better!! No judgement about listening to The Climb I still feel ashamed to say I actually liked the Hannah Montana Movie.!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Been. There.
    But our school started a little bit over 2 weeks ago, so I am FINALLY not exhausted every night. So in 2 weeks you should be better! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh no! I hope your day tomorrow goes better! I hate days when my alarm clock doesn't work for whatever reason (especially when I forget to set it-haha!)...I feel like it sets the tone for the whole day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well hopefully you got your 'bad' morning out of the way and now you will have GREAT mornings the rest of the year! :-) Enjoy your night on the couch!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i'm sorry you had such a stressful first day! i went over to meg's yesterday and she was a vegetable, too! hehe... hope today was better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you got there in time! Sorry it was so stressful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope you have a great first week! This is week 4 for us... I've already caught a cold! My lovely little 2nd graders are rapidly spreading their germs! Don't forget your GermX! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just stopped by your blog after reading your AMAZING comment on Misadventures of a Newlywed's blog. I couldn't agree with you more! I teach 4th grade as well. Our school didn't even give us the option..we were just given slips to send home with the kids saying our school would NOT be watching it. I feel like my class missed out on a great opportunity. I am so happy to hear that your students were reflective and that it opened up a class discussion. Kudos to you. :) I hope your first week of school is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh no! I hate to hear you have had a difficult day! I'm hoping tomorrow is much better for you and things continue to get better as the school year goes on! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Now I have a bunch of "just barely" fourth graders." For some reason I always block this part out. Then once the beginning of the year rolls around I go crazy and can't understand why they can't be quiet for 5 seconds! Then it clicks...they're still trapped in their 3rd grade minds. Oh how I can't wait until January (usually that's when it starts to sink in).

    ReplyDelete