Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Audio Books

Back in college when J was 9 hours away from me, the only thing that got me through that 9 hour drive were books on CD. I had done a few trips with just my radio/music CD's, and then before one trip a friend of mine in college who had a 12 hour drive from college to her home in Martha's Vineyard let me borrow her CD copy of The Lovely Bones *. I got to Nashville (where J was in school) and instead of jumping out of my car and running to see my long lost boyfriend, I sat in my car for fifteen extra minutes to hear what was going to happen next. Who cared about my boyfriend. I needed to know more about Suzy Salmon. I've been hooked on audio books ever since.

About 2 years ago, the CD player in my Nissan died. I was devastated, only because it meant no more books while driving. Music CD's are nice, but I could gt music from my radio. It looked like no more books for me.

When I got my new car back in July, the thing I was excited about the most was the return of a CD player. Audio books could be a part of my life again! I can be more a library whore than I already am! And now that I drive 30 minutes to work each day, this meant I'd have a full hour of book time each day.

Currently I'm listening to Plain Truth by Jodi Picoult. I've got very mixed feelings about Picoult's books. They tend to annoy me, but they keep me so engaged while driving. It's like a Lifetime movie. I want to quit them because they're usually cheesy and over the top, but I love it at the same time. Such a viscious cycle.


So here's my question for you...do you listen to books while driving? If so, do you have any great recommendations? Some books are just made to be read aloud. Please share!

* Excellent book, by the way. I'm so excited for the movie this winter!

13 comments:

  1. that's such a good idea. My neighbor blares story books while she works in her garage on stuff. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am constantly listening to books on CD, because I travel alot for my job. My current CD obsession has been Mary Kay Andrew books. They are southern and usually involve decorating.
    I also love Sophie Kinsella's books and I listened to Shoe Addicts Anonymous on CD. Can't remember the author though. Basically, I only listen to chick lit. It passes the time and it doesn't usually need my absolute full attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Audio Books! They are perfect for long trips! I also download some onto my iPod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never tried books on CD but I've heard lots o good things abou them. I feel like I'm not in the car enough to take advantage of them. I tried reading The Lovely Bones but didn't get into it, maybe I should try again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I looovvee audio books!! Seriously they are awesome for long drives (my commute..cries...).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, 9 hours?! I thought my 4 hour drive to see the bf was rough...but yes, audio books definitely get me through! Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i have never listend to audio books before, my grandma loves listening to them though.
    i think if i had a long drive i would fall asleep listening to one of these, i don't do good with driving long distances though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't listen to audio books, but I do read them. I'm a voice over and it's part of my many projects. Mine are primarily childrens books through and my accent, I'm sure, wouldn't make it to your shores. But, that's what I do. People like you make it all possible! Thank you, from people like me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never listened to books in the car but I've tried learning languages while doing long drives. Glad you have a cd player again!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I drive all over town for sales, so I LOVE books on tape!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hubs is constantly listening to books on his ipod in the car. He listened to the entire Harry Potter series this summer in the car (mostly on our way to Florida). I, on the other hand, fall asleep right when they come on. I love the books, but they make me sooo tired!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have yet to try them. I'm afraid they'll make me sleepy! But a very good friend loves them for her 5 hour drive back home ... even her 5 minute drive to campus. Maybe I'm really missing out.

    ReplyDelete