Sunday, November 22, 2009

Thanksgiving To Do's:

We leave for Thanksgiving in Massachusetts at 4pm on Tuesday. We're driving up the east coast and hoping to arrive at some time in the wee hours of Wednesday. We'll be there for about 48 hours before we're waking up on Friday around 3AM to turn around and drive back to Virginia for a wedding. Between now and then I have about 200 little things to take care of.

I need to pack, obviously. And not only for our time in Massachusetts, but for the wedding we're attending back in Virginia next Saturday and the rehearsal dinner the night before. I bought a dress for the wedding the other day from Target (my bank account was happy) and it's so cute. Might even double for Christmas party dress. But I digress, we're also hoping to get a little family photo taken over the break for our Christmas card, so at some point today I need to pick out outfits for that. I can't have us clashing in our Christmas card photo!

Today I'm headed to the grocery store to buy ingredients for pecan pie. Pecan is my favorite pie, and I typically eat it as my "birthday cake" each year since my birthday always falls right around Thanksgiving. As I type this, J is sitting at his computer calculating calories in it, per my request. This will probably bring on a cry fest when he tells me one slice of pie has 1,110 calories and 80 grams of fat. I will still eat it, but this way I'll remember to only eat 1 piece instead of 5. Not that I've done that in the past...

*This just in, don't read unless you like expanding the size of your hips and bottom...

PW's pecan pie and pie crust has 947 calories and 65 grams of fight in an eighth of the pie. Sorry to ruin your day! It looks like I might need to find another pie crust recipe that doesn't add 600 calories to a slice.*

At some point, I need to get my eyebrows waxed. If I look back on how long it's been, we might be looking at months in double digits. Oops?

We need to do laundry. At the laundromat. Our last trip! Which brings me to our next thing to do, get the keys tonight to our new house WHICH HAS A WASHER AND DRYER, PRAISE THE LORD! But today we're making one more trip to our laundromat down the street to have some clean clothes for the week.

And somewhere in this busy day, I need to find time for the gym, and more importantly I need to come up with something for my kids to do for 2.5 days of school they have this week. I know they're gonna be off the wall since they have a break coming up, so this week is a lot more behavior management than teaching.

The thing I'm looking forward to the least is bathing the dog. She's a total spazz in the bath, but she needs one. And more importantly, I don't want her being the "smelly" dog on Thanksgiving day. That would be so embarrassing.

So I'm off! Off to accomplish a thousand little things and maybe find a little time to enjoy the rest of my weekend.

11 comments:

  1. Once a month we take our dog to the groomers and they clip her nails, give her a bath, and spray her with stuff that smells good. Last month they sprayed her with stuff that smelled like pumkins, and this month it was christmas spices haha. I hate clipping her nails and bathing her, so I'd rather let them deal with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've gotten to the point where all my Christmas card photos are in black and white. That way as long as everyone is in a pattern that doesn't clash- we're good! haha. It gets so complicated when you add in 2 more people. lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. So thrilled for the new washer and dryer for you all. I'll be honest. I don't know if I can ever go back to a laundromat. Sigh. Those were rough years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to use a laundry mat for one summer when I was out west. Never again, I don't know how you do it! I am so happy for you about the house, that is sooo exciting!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the new house! Have a safe trip to Massachusetts. My parents arrived in Mississippi this afternoon. They'll be headed north (to Connecticut) with my kids to visit my sister right after Christmas.

    Have fun with the family photo, too! We need to get ours figured out, too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Enjoy your pie! Pecan is my favorite too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yaaay congrats on the new place! So excited for you=)! And oh my goodness girl, I am having so much trouble with outfits for our holiday photo! I hope you have a great trip. Let me know if you're passing by us and you want to do lunch or coffee or dinner or anything, I know your trip is a quick one, so no worries if you can't=) Good luck getting everything done and hope those kiddos behave for you and the 2.5 days go by fast!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you're able to get everything done!! Congrats on getting a new place!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Designate a day this week as "game" day. The children bring in their favorite board game and they play games all day! They love it! Opps...that's not very academic!
    *Write what they are thankful for.
    *Create a Pine cone turkey.
    *have them create a totem pole using paper that shows the significance of themselves(beaver=creative, owl=wise)
    *Read the Legend of the indian paintbrush and children write a legend of their own as a rubric using native signs for some words.
    *Compare how children celebrated the first thanksgiving and how we do today.
    *Have them make a turkey and each feather has something they are thankful for on it.

    Ok, well, maybe just enjoy your week and keep them busy! The busier they are the less problems...LOL.
    We are off all week and I am so ready for the break!
    Have a fabulous time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! I just stumbled on your blog and I love it! Congratulations on your new home! And I cannot believe the calories in PW's pecan pie!! It looks AMAZING, but you're right, I might need to skip that one! ha. Have so much fun in Massachusetts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, you made me hungry for pecan pie and then your husband had to ruin it for all of us!!!!!!

    LoL!!

    Thanks for your sweet comment from a teachers' perspective. I have the upmost appreciation for ALL teachers - I love their giving hearts! And their willingness to take on what they (you) take on everyday! You deserve your breaks! Enjoy your Thanksgiving one!

    ReplyDelete