Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Dirty Risotto

Are you all sick of me blogging about food? It's okay, feel free to admit it! But tonight's dinner was so good that I have to share it with you all.

Tonight we had Giada's Dirty Risotto. I've heard of Dirty Rice before, which according to Wikipedia is described as "a traditional Cajun dish made from white rice cooked with small pieces of chicken liver or giblets, which give it a dark ("dirty") color and a mild but distinctive flavor". Dirty Risotto is an Italian take off of that dish. And sooooo much better! And for the record, no chicken giblets or livers. Just Italian sausage and pancetta (or bacon if you can't find panetta, like me!)

If you've never cooked with risotto, you need to try it. It will make you feel like a chef. It takes a little while, but it's so simple. And most importantly, it's so delicious!

Seriously friends...make this meal! Recipe found here.

Risotto right after I added it to the sausage.

The risotto again, right before the meal was done. It was so creamy!

Do yourself a favor and make this meal!

Oh, and small little note to the recipe. I subbed bacon for pancetta since our local grocery store was majorly failing the other night. Along with NO CHICKEN BREASTS (seriously, how does this even happen?!), they had no pancetta. Bacon was an acceptable substitute. And I omitted the mushrooms. If there's one thing I will NOT eat, it's mushrooms. You really can't pay me to eat them. Yuck, yuck, yuck!

6 comments:

  1. Yum yum yum I MUST MAKE THIS. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sick of you blogging about food, never! :) I've been wanting to try to cook risotto but haven't yet! I'm definitely going to have to try it very soon! Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love dirty rice so this is a must try dish for me. Maybe this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds great, by the way from a cajun cook, you have to be old to do the chicken livers and gizzards thing. We use fatty hamburger, or rolled sausage, works the same.
    Yes dahlings it has a distinctive flavor, one that makes you spit immediately into your napkin. I personally love the recipes, and menu planning tips. You are a really good "recipe girl" in my opinion. Love whatcha cookin'

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep up the food blogging, I love it!

    I love risotto and this looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband (originally from Louisiana) loves dirty rice but I am always looking for ways to make it healthier. This looks fantastic and going on my Sunday Dinner menu.

    I LOVE your blog and am now a follower!

    ReplyDelete