Saturday, January 2, 2010

impromptu dinner party

On my new year's resolutions/goals post the other day, one thing I wrote about is finding friends this year. I was surprised to see that I am not the only one struggling with this. Thanks for all of your honesty!

I am blessed by a few friendships in my area, two of them being friends who I went to college with. They both also grew up in my hometown, and we sort of knew one another in high school.

On Wednesday evening, my chef of a husband cooked dinner for not just us, but both of my friends and their husbands. It was on that night that I remembered how much I loved being married to a man who loves cooking just as much as I do. All I had to for dinner was warm up some french bread. He did the rest. He's quite the keeper.

But enough about him. We had such a fun time, and I'm so glad that I live by these girls. My friend Helen also brought her dog Sophie, which obviously made Layla happy. There was lots of wrestling, and they only managed to knock over one drink while wrestling under the table while we ate.

Helen, Kelly, and me. This picture makes me look like a giant.

And since I've been promising pictures of the new place, I figured I'd take a few while it was all cleaned up for our guests. Our bedrooms are still a mess and no where near a put together stage. Eventually I'll get around to putting them on here.

The dinner table. Obviously, we don't usually use the card table, but it worked for dinner with 4 other people. And you'd be right if you thought that was cheapo Trader Joe's wine on our table. We're beer snobs in our home, but could care less about the wine we drink.

Our tiny new kitchen, which, surprisingly, is bigger than our apartment kitchen. Our home was built in the 50's, and this kitchen is evidence of that. People cared a lot less about counter space back then. Apparently the builders of this home also cared a lot about tile.

The new living room. We didn't pick the wall color, it was already this color when we moved in. I'm lucky that it kind of matched our furniture.

Living room + a green, blurry eyed puppy. I hate that hideous recliner, but it's her chair. We don't let her on our bed or couches, but that recliner is hers.

Other side of the living room. Notice our old school tv + rabbit ears. That's right we don't have cable.

That's all for now! I promise there will be more pictures of the new place in the next few weeks/months.

17 comments:

  1. Even though you didn't pick the color- I love it!! So fun! I want to paint my girls' bathroom that color! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that same rug in my family room!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww what a sweet hubby! And your new place looks great! Crazy how that color matches all of your stuff so nicely! That worked out great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got to see Kelly, I love her so much! I also think you did a great job of decorating your house!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I actually think the wall colors work really well with your furniture and think it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How fun of you guys to already have a dinner party :) I really wanted some pics of the goods - you know, the FOOD! ha!

    Fun to see your place (I LOVE looking in people's curtains!) And you just gave this peeping Tom a little more than she bargained for!

    We JUST got cable this year - basic, of course. We saved money for years with our bunny ears :=) And our Tvs are old school too - hey, they are paid for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your house is SO CUTE. I love that it is from the 1950's, those homes have so much character. Plus I can't wait until we move into a house where we can PAINT the WALLS (loved the blue in your living room). We have the same issue with furniture in our house too...although your furniture is still nicer then ours. We have 1 futon and sold our couch when we moved here...and I refuse to buy a new set until Kadira learns that she can't get up on the furniture because she leaves hair everywhere. Dogs are worth it though, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun night!! I am so glad you have fun friends like that :)

    And oooh I love that paint color :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a cute home you have! I love how lived in it already looks and you just moved in weeks ago!!

    The LR paint color reminds me very much of our kitchen paint color. Very bold & bright, but it does go well with your furniture! (love the rabbit ears, by the way!)

    I didn't comment on your other post, but I, too, have "friend issues." Trust me. I've lived in our area for, um, nearly 23 years and I have very few friends. Well, friends that I can count on, if that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your house looks like ours, which was also built in the 1950s! Those teeny aisle kitchens must have been very popular!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The teal wall goes so well with all your brown furniture. It adds a perfect "pop!"

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your living room is really cute! But I'm most jealous of all the books in that huge bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  13. So lucky to have a cook in the family! and I looove the wall color, I think that shade and brown look fabulous together!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yay for your new place, it looks great! we have a blue in our family room too and we love it! I love your rug and the buffet next to the tv=) and so nice that your Hubby cooked for everybody, what a great Hubs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The new house is adorable! Congratulations! It's okay. I don't have cable or the internet! :) You find that you really enjoy more of what's around you that way.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I actually like the wall color. I'm a wee bit crazy about blue, and this seems like such a happy color!

    ReplyDelete