Saturday, January 9, 2010

sick day + sundaes

Yesterday I woke up not feeling so well. In the middle of the night I woke up feeling awful, and when my alarm went off at 5:30, I wasn't feeling any better. I couldn't keep anything down and after a mini debate in my mind, I figured it'd be best if I stayed home. Missing an unexpected day as a teacher isn't so easy when you have nothing prepared in your classroom for a substitute. I quickly threw together sub plans for a long day of "busy work", which was rather difficult considering that reading the words on the screen was making me queasy, and I emailed them to my special ed teacher to give to the sub. I headed back to bed, got back up at 9:30, and did nothing for the rest of the day.

And by nothing, I really mean I laid on the couch and watched season 3 episodes of Big Love from Netflix. My computer just hurt my eyes too much to look at it. Finally by 8pm, I was feeling more like myself and could handle looking at a computer screen. And I was starving, so I made J go to our favorite drive in to get Sundaes.

I know. Sundaes are just what you need after several hours of throwing up. Don't judge me and my healthy choices.

Anyhow...I mentioned a few weeks ago that J got me Photoshop Elements 8 for Christmas. I'm really enjoying the challenge of learning how to use this program. It's fairly easy, but I'm still using lots of free online tutorials, and doing lots of googling when I've got questions. Here's one photo before and after (photo is from our honeymoon when we visited the Portland Rose Garden):

Before:

After:

I could have done something similar to this using the free online photo editor Picnik (which is wonderful, by the way), but I'm really trying to become proficient with PSE. Rounding corners was my big accomplishment of the day! I've also done a few digital scrapbook pages using PSE. I'll share a page or two when I start to feel like they look nice. Right now, they all look a little messy to me. If you know of any good tutorials (other than Jessica Sprague, I've already done hers), feel free to leave me a link!

So that was my sick day. I'm back to feeling like myself, a little dehydrated, but much better. Today we're planning on visiting the Apple store to get J a new computer! He's a software engineer and professional computer nerd (at one point, we had NINE computers in our apartment), but his "newest" computer is from 2003. In addition to being a nerd, he's pretty frugal, which I love about him. I think it's time that he earned a new one!

14 comments:

  1. i tag you too for the "inside purse" job !!
    I was sick too this week : not easy to let down your class , isn't it?
    TAKE CARE

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you feel better soon!!! Being sick stinks!

    PS I love the photoshop job - AMAZING!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MckMama has good photoshop tips! And they show pics step by step, so that really helps me!

    Hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad to hear that you are feeling better- sometimes you just need a day to relax especially if you are a hard working teacher. Have fun at the apple store and nice job with photoshop, loved the picture, roses are my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad you feel better.

    I felt sick yesterday and ended up going in because I didn't have sub plans either. And it was definitely a mistake. Good call on resting and relaxing and healing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope you feel better -- I am fighting the same funk and finally have pretty much passed it. The photos look great too -- what a fun way to spend some spare time! I love Picasa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad you're feeling better! So glad you stayed home! And so great to relax, watch some shows, and play with pictures! I definitely want to learn more about doctoring up pics too=)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I totally feel for you...creating last minute sub plans from home is tough! I love your photo shopping though! Very pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad that you're feeling better...and YUM, I love sundaes!!

    I love how you're able to edit your photos so beautifully. I will have to give Picnik a try (as a good starting point).

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad you're feeling better & good luck with pse! if you have any questions - let me know. i don't use elements, i use photoshop 7 (on my pc) and photoshop CS4 (on my mac) but i'm assuming the programs are really similar & it's amazing how much cool stuff they can do. my tip is to get books from the library. no joke i learned from "photoshop for dummies" and tons of books like that. :) lots of photography books will have photoshop tips, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's a great photo!! Glad to hear you're feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sorry you were sick. That stinks!! I crazy crazy things when I feel better after being sick, so I totally understand the Sundae. I have been wanting to try Picnik. I have heard good things about it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Being sick is no fun! I hope you're feeling completely better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I so know the sub plan feeling. I have gone in several times that I probably shouldn't have for that very reason.

    I bought myself Photoshop Elements for Dummies. I found it helpful to have on the shelf for the "how do I..." moments. I am still playing with it though.

    ReplyDelete