Monday, February 22, 2010

Back from Illinois

My weekend away was spent touring Laura's campus, eating yummy food, drinking a LOT of hot tea, debating environmental issues, and a little bit of Olympic watching (I have a tiny crush on Apolo!). We also saw a play on her campus Saturday (Killer Joe), and I still have mixed feelings on it. Great acting, but the story was a little too intense for me.

When I flew out Friday afternoon, I felt pretty sick. I had a sore throat and my whole body ached. It didn't help that it was snowing in Indiana, so our drive back to Illinois was a long one. Saturday I was feeling better, and by Sunday, I think I was back to my normal self.

Sunday afternoon Laura took me to my first Vietnamese restaurant. SO delicious! I am now on a quest to find one in my town.

I got Phở Noodles, which I really can't believe no one has told me about before now. Rice noodles, broth, green onions, lime, cilantro, basil, and bean sprouts? This meal was made for me. I was going to take a photo, but it looks like I ate it before I had a chance to do so.


Me and my wonderful host and friend!



Before leaving, I decided to try a Bubble Tea. I've heard of these before, but again, had never tried it. I got a Chai Tea, and again, I was really in love. The "boba" took some getting used to, but I was quickly a fan.



My trip was super fun. And it made me miss having my closest friends near by. I guess the good thing is it forces me to travel and go visit them, which is always good for the soul. Even though I wasn't feeling so great, I loved having a weekend away from the usual routine. Here's hoping that I get to do it again soon!

16 comments:

  1. So happy to hear you had a great time! Isn't Bubble Tea the best?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great weekend. I've always wanted to try one of those teas, perhaps I will soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've never had bubble tea - what is it??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you had a great weekend! My husbands roommate in college always drank bubble tea and I was always curious about it, but was still too scared to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time! I love Pho and I have ALWAYS wanted to try bubble tea - we will have to go sometime soon.

    Hope you have a great week!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Boba tea! It's delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun! And Vietnamese food is one of my favorites ever!!! Glad you tried it:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yay! Glad to hear you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! Glad to hear you had a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I work with three girls that are addicted to bubble tea! It's a pretty popular thing around here for some reason. I haven't tried it, but yours looked much more yummy then my co-workers!

    I'm glad you had a great trip and are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love weekend getaways...and dear friends make them even better!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad you had a fun weekend. I haven't tried either of these but now I am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've always heard of Bubble Tea but never tried it. And you look adorable in that last pic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have never heard of Bubble Tea before! I was thinking about you and hoping that you were feeling better!! so glad you got to go and have a great trip! I love visiting friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Vietnamese food is my favorite...I love Pho! Actually, everyone in my house does, too.

    Best place locally is Vietnam Garden off VB Blvd near Great Neck (it's in the small strip of shops with Leslie's Pools & Dollar General one shopping center over from the TJ Maxx/Home Goods). They're not open on Mondays. But, two people can get stuffed full of delicious noodles for well less than $20.

    And, I love Bubble Tea, too!! There is a place at Lynnhaven Mall that has it & it's pretty good. Not as good as the Bubble Tea I had in Boston's Chinatown, but it will do. ;)

    Glad you had such a great time in Illinois!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I've heard of pho a few times, so I think I'm going to have to try it now. So to find a Vietnamese restaurant... hmmm... Thank goodness for Google!

    ReplyDelete