Wednesday, February 3, 2010

snow day cooking

Since I've spent a lot of time indoors, thanks to the recent snowstorm that came through our city, I've done a little baking and some cooking. Saturday morning I desperately needed to make chocolate chip cookies, but we had no chocolate chips. When I was about to cry and force my husband to drive to the grocery store in the snow, I discovered 3 full size Hershey bars in our freezer. Still don't know why we had these in the freezer, but for the record, they are great chopped up in your cookies!

I need to confess to you all that one of the only reasons I make cookies, is to eat the dough. Below is evidence of that. I've also recently decided that I need to have less shame on my blog. Less shame = showing you pictures of my snow day attire.


Prettiest girl in the world, right? Greasy hair plus pajamas and over-sized sweaters are one of the best parts of snow days!


Here's the cookie recipe I used. Thanks to Ariana for sharing this on her blog! She gets all the credit!

Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 t. baking soda
1/2 t. salt
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 t. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350.
Beat butter with sugars.
Beat in eggs and vanilla.
Stir in dry ingredients (baking soda, salt, flour).
Try not to over beat during any step. You're wanting to just combine all ingredients.
Drop by spoonful onto ungreased cookie sheet.
Bake for 8 minutes for perfect cookies.


There ya have it! We've also made chili (J's recipe) and Creamy Orzo and Chicken with Vodka Sauce. Both were delicious! If you want what the orzo recipe, email me! I don't have it typed up, but I can if you want it!

What do you like to make on snow days? Also, do you enjoy being a bum (like me!) on your snow days?

13 comments:

  1. I think the chocolate bars were leftovers from making s'mores when we went camping a year and a half ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Now I'm craving chocolate chip cookie dough!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum! That close-up photo of the cookie looks amazing!Thanks for sharing recipe; I'm going to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! Looks delicious! Makes me want a snow day too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I need that chicken recipe. Can you e-mail it to me? sweetsimplicityblog@gmail

    ReplyDelete
  6. I TOTALLY just make cookies for the dough! Ever since I became unemployed, I've been baking cookies probably every week... Evs thinks I have a steel resolve because I bake them, have one, and then send them off with him to work... Of course what he doesn't know is that I eat about a cup of freakin' dough during the baking process :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. cookie dough = best thing ever. but isn't that recipe just the nestle tollhouse recipe? makes me think of the friends episode where phoebe says her french grandmother "Nestle Tollhouse" (pronounced Nest-lay Toll-hoooze)had a secret recipe & Monica spent all day trying to bake cookies and figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eating the dough is seriously one of the best parts of baking cookies. I more often than not bake cookies just so I can eat half the dough!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What are these snow days you speak of?? We don't really know what those are here in Louisiana. Actually I did have one snow day... kind of. It wasn't a whole day but as soon as they let us go, I came straight home and back into my cozy bed.

    Those cookies look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made choc chip cookies the other day too! can't stop eating them! and I definitely want that recipe! =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum cookie dough! We're suppose to have another big snow storm this weekend and I'm looking forward to an excuse to cook and eat all weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those cookies look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is SO funny that you posted this recipe...BECAUSE...I was just thinking today how I would like to find an awesome new chocolate chip cookies recipe! THANKS for post..or...I guess in this case reposting!! ;) I really appreciate it...as will my little man! ;) THANK YOU! Have a great weekend! Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete