Thursday, March 4, 2010

the joys of teaching...

I typed up a whole post earlier about how draining my job is, and how I sometimes contemplate whether or not public education is the right fit for me.

And then I thought that maybe I shouldn't post it. Partially because it's the internet, and you never who is reading, and partially because I don't like adding negativity to the lives of others. And really, who wants to read another whiny blog?

Although I have my "issues" with my job right now, there are still things I love. Shall I share with you?


1. Being the nerd that I am, I get a thrill out of designing lessons for the computer lab.

2. I know more about Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift than most 26 year olds thanks to the girls in my class. In fact, today I edited a paper on what makes Miley and Taylor different.

3. I also read a paper today comparing dogs and cats and it began with "If there were no dogs, cats would definitely rule the world..."

4. Even on bad hair days, someone always tells me I look pretty. Little kids are kind like that, and really know how to boost my self esteem.

5. Our cafeteria makes some fabulous corn dog nuggets (my extremely guilty pleasure food, but I'm all about being honest on here).

6. Each day I get to share my love of reading with 23 other (little) people.

7. When I play Bunco with my coworkers, my 63 year old mentor teacher always drinks more than anyone else. This always leads to a fun time.

8. I have a killer colored felt tip pen collection. I am proud to say I never grade with red ballpoints!

9. I get to wear my tennis shoes on Fridays.

10. When I am out for a day, I come back to 23 little people who are thrilled to see me. They act like they haven't seen me in years.

22 comments:

  1. aww what a cute little list - wish I could say the same!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great list! All of that made me want to be a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stumbled upon this post by accident when I was looking at a friends. I recently began teaching in the public school system in January. I went into kindergarten class that has had subs for about 4 months. They were out of control. Thank you for posting a this, I had a really bad day in the classroom and this made me think about the positives I can find in my kiddos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Teaching can definitely be very draining, but there's so much that makes it worth it!

    I never grade with red pen either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a pretty sweet list, Rachel! I went into the second grade class last week to read and I have to admit, I was nervous..intimidated! And the Littles were so kind! They asked me questions and laughed at me (in a good way!) And to think I was afraid of them!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. & there is nothing wrong with some good corn dog nuggets!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun to read a teacher list ! I guess it's a bit different to teach in our two countries but they are similitudes about the good points ( the " you're beautiful !" even when you feel ugly is a norm in both countries as i can see!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sweet list. Public ed has its challenges, but dedicated people like you truly can and do make a difference. [I work at the dept of ed for my state btw!]

    ReplyDelete
  10. you totally make me want to be a teacher! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it all, even though teaching is draining most days, there are so many things about it that I love! I think Scholastic Book Orders might be one of my favorite things, how random is that? I too never grade in red, purple and green felt-tip markers are the best. Even though I'm not currently teaching, I still use them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Can you PLEASE publish what makes Miley and Taylor different according to a little person?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it is so important to focus on positives of teaching because the negatives can really get you down if you let them. Teaching is so rewarding for the most part!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is seriously what I needed to hear today. I'm having a bad day at work, but there are alot of positives that I could focus on. Thanks for reminding me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't agree more. And I know its wrong, but sometimes, my felt-tip pen collection is the highlight of my teaching day. It keeps me in the job for that day, I tell ya!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute cute!!! Love your positive outlook:-)

    Hope you have a fab weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  17. A post like this makes me want to head back to grad school to finish the elementary education degree that I started, but never finished.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aw, little kids are the cutest. My sister has the best stories too! (She is also a teacher!)

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a fellow teacher I have a very similar list of why I enjoy teaching. Lately I have been in the "do I really want to be a teacher for the rest of my life" thinking. It is refreshing to see a list like yours and remember why I do what I do!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knew you were awesome before but number 8 makes you ROCK. That's awesome that you don't use the dreadful red pen!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE that you focused on the things you enjoy about teaching. I try to do the same with my job. It's easy to whine and complain when I'm not having the best time at work but what good does that do me? I'm just thankful I have a secure job with the way things are going! Teaching was my second choice in college and many days, I wish I'd gone that route.

    Enjoy your weekend! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  22. Great post ! This really makes me look forward to becoming a teacher!! Thanks! :]

    ReplyDelete