Wednesday, March 10, 2010

The Last 5 Years

Fun little fact for you all: turns out that this is my 400th post.

Now onto more important things, like musicals!

I believe I've talked about this before on my blog, but I don't mind bringing it up again. Since I was a little girl, I have always loved musicals. In middle school, I'd ask for season tickets for the national tour of Broadway shows to visit our city. I knew all the words to The Sound of Music and Annie. I had big dreams of belting my heart out on stage one day.

While I did grow up to be a showchoir queen, I went to college and became an elementary school teacher. No Broadway for me. However, in my first two hours of college life, I met a girl on my hall, Lyndsey, who was attending my college to earn a BFA in musical theater. She quickly became my bff as she told me about all the shows she had been in, and once I heard her sing, I just about died. She was destined to do great things*.

Once of the perks of being Lyndsey's friend, was the fact that she owned more musical soundtracks than I could even hold in one CD book. She introduced me to many a musicals, but the one I fell in love with the most, would hands down be this show: The Last Five Years.


This was an Off Broadway show starring Sherie Renee Scott (you might know her as Amneris from the OBC of Aida) and Norbert Leo Butz (Fiyero from the OBC of Wicked!). It is a love story about Jamie and Cathy. The show begins with Cathy at the end of their relationship, followed by a song by Jamie who is starting after their first date. As the story evolves, Cathy moves backwards in time, while Jamie is moving forward. It is such a beautiful show. You can listen to the whole soundtrack here (thanks youtube!)

Most of you probably skipped this post, but for the few of you who happen to be Broadway junkies like myself, give it a listen! I love it. "Still Hurting" and "I Can Do Better Than That" are my personal favorites. Here's the album on iTunes.

*Lyndsey and I don't keep in touch now other than facebook, but I am happy to report that she's doing great things. She was in the Chicago and San Francisco casts of Jersey Boys, and now she's traveling with Mamma Mia.

11 comments:

  1. I want to see that!! I love musicals too but haven't seen many live! Just movies:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of that one. I'll have to keep it on my radar! Maybe you could help your local high school's drama program if you want to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoy musicals too! But I haven't heard of The Last Five Years...I'll have to youtube some of their music!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a bunch of cookies to decorate over the weekend and I am already excited to listen to the youtube link! I've never heard of this show but love love LOVE musicals of all kinds. Thanks for the great tip!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh love new musicals to buy!! My sister and I used to act out Oklahoma and we loved all the singing on my fair lady!! Don't change your blog header bec I love it this way;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love musicals! Somehow I've never heard of this one, but it sounds like an amazing story.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Musicals make my heart soar.

    Congrats on 400 posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this show! I'm going to have to check out the soundtrack!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE MUSICALS!!! Thankfully I've been able to convince Hubby that he can tolerate them too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm am definitely going to have to listen, we love musicals too! I really need to make a list of musicals that we should try to go see soon!

    ReplyDelete