Monday, March 15, 2010

Our "Fitness" Area

One of the best parts of our new house is the fact that it has a garage. We live in an older neighborhood and we're one of the rare houses on our block that has an attached garage. When we found this place, we were thrilled to have so much storage space. In our old apartment, a lot of "stuff" just got piled in the guest room.

We also laugh, because the people who were trying to rent out this house advertised the garage as the "fitness room". I suppose you could put a treadmill in here? Not quite sure why they didn't just call it a garage.

Back in December when we moved in, we sort of threw stuff in the garage, and we've been digging through it since then. There was no organization, no room to walk, and it was filthy...


A mess, right?

This past Saturday, we made it our mission to get this place fixed up. We don't want to park a car in it (the door is not automatic), but we did want to have room to walk, and a place to leave the dog during the day. Or hey, maybe we could put a weight machine in here? Off to Target we went for a some shelves...


I helped a little bit...but J did most the work when it came to building the shelves.


After several hours of shelf building, sweeping, and box moving, we now have this....


Amazing difference, right? And then we tried this just for fun...


I love the built in closet we have out here. It currently houses are luggage and our cleaning supplies.


And I love having a home for my stash of reusable bags! Before they were crumpled up in a corner.


We still walk in the garage and we're giddy by all the space and how easy it is to find stuff! It feels so good to have accomplished a big task like that and to be able to check it off the to do list!

16 comments:

  1. So organized! Great work. It always feels good to tackle daunting projects like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for organization!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a difference! Our garage has also been our most unorganized room, I have little desire to work on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh that's exciting, it looks great! as I tweeted, I do get excited about organization and purchasing organization supplies! :) great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks GREAT!!! Were those shelves hard to put together? My husband and I could really use something like that - thank you for the wonderful idea! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow... that looks awesome! you almost make me have motivation to do that to our basement.... but not to put a car in it... just to be able to find that one pair of shoes that go with this one dress... ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. ahhhhhhh, that looks great! what a good feeling, huh?
    come organize my garage, please.

    :)
    em

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, that's an impressive change!
    Almost makes me want to go downstairs and organize mine. Almost. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. That looks scarily like our "office," which is currently more of a junk room. I've started the organization process but it's just so daunting! This is actually good motivation for me. All that space and neatness is just so lovely! Congrats on checking off such a big project!

    ReplyDelete
  10. good job on the organization! want to do my garage??

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks awesome! I'm very impressed. Now I'm tempted to start on our storage unit!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! That looks awesome! You guys did such a great job. I can't believe you were able to pull off that off in one day!

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW! Looks great!! I organized our garage in the dead of winter in my winter coat, hat and gloves. Not a wise decision. You guys accomplished a lot in a weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your garage is so much cleaner & neater than ours!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I bought the same shelves from Target for my tiny little apartment. Oh my gosh, they were on sale and so nice! I love them!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks good!

    I love the feeling you get when you organize something and get to enjoy how good it looks!

    ReplyDelete