Thursday, March 25, 2010

rather squirrelly

Things have been rather boring in my life lately, and blog topics seem to be non existent. While looking through my iPhoto tonight, I found these pictures and chuckled. I can't believe I never blogged about it.

On our honeymoon to Oregon back in 2008, we spent five days at the coast, and then two days in Portland. We arrived in Portland on a Friday morning with a lunch packed for a picnic at the Portland Rose Garden...


This would be me looking creepily excited at our little picnic. Look at my dark hair. Makes me want to cancel my appointment for a highlights touch up on Saturday.


Anyhow, this post isn't about my hair.

While enjoying my sandwich, this little guy came to join us...


Not too odd. I have seen thousands of squirrels in my lifetime, but it all got a little strange when he hopped on the table.


This little guy was clearly no stranger to picnics. I could see that he wanted to be my friend. And by "be my friend", I really just mean he wanted into my bag of Lays.


After awhile, I began to give into him. I think we were having a conversation here.


After that, I was pretty much smitten...


So smitten, in fact, that I gave in and gave the guy a chip. As I look back now, I can't really see what I saw in him. He was a freaking squirrel, for crying out loud. A suburban rodent!


Not only did he eat the chips, he ate them right out of our hands. He was way too comfortable around humans.


I laugh when looking at these, not only because we fed a squirrel right out of the palm of our hands, but I laugh because this was on our honeymoon. Most people's honeymoons were spent by white sands and a crystal ocean, yet ours was in the northwest feeding trout and squirrels, and I wouldn't have had it any other way!

19 comments:

  1. you shared your chips with a squirrel but not with me?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE this! I love the pic of you crossing your heart... I would have done the same thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, so cute and hilarious! I love that your honeymoon wasn't a typical beachy thing - ours wasn't either! (We stayed in a cabin in the middle of woods!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha, Love this post!! I would have be smitten myself. I love the end where you said "I wouldn't have had it any other way!" Ours was basically like yours...no crystal ocean or white sands...but it was just as special if not more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. We went to Colorado for our honeymoon and loved the scenery. It is so peaceful in those types of settings.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is my favorite post of yours -- I love that you documented it!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Mr's family lives in Portland so we go there a lot. The Oregon coast is SO pretty!

    Love the squirrel !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your honey moon sounds for me as THE perfect one : nature , great state and squirrels : nothing to add ! We could be friend in real life , i'm sure lol!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We had a mini-moon in Asheville, so ours wasn't the typical one either. I do hope to have a tropical, full week, honeymoon at some point though. It will probably be 5-10 years into marriage, at this point!

    ReplyDelete
  10. hahaha OMG! thats so funny. how cute is he! hes so tiny too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I cannot believe it! That experience made for some pretty cute pictures. It looks like it was an amazing honeymoon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gawsh! I would've been scared he'd bite my hand off! It's cute and creepy and funny all at the same time haha. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's pretty cool! I've heard Oregon is beautiful. The hubs and I need to make it out that way one day...

    ReplyDelete
  14. I probably would have fed the squirrels too! Hubs and I fed the ducks in Disney. They took food from us, but were not as cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Aww! Haha! What a cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh my goodness! I've never seen a squirrel be so intimate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, that is crazy!!

    Oh gosh, I am just so not outdoorsy, haha! I needed a beach!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So cute! I really like the garden...I just found your blog! I can't wait to read updates about it. :)
    http://lifeofemilyschmitz.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww I think that's adorable!

    ReplyDelete