Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spaghetti A la Rachel

Earlier this week, I tried a new recipe, pretty much from my own head. This was a brave step for me! I cook all the time, but it's rare that I make up my own recipe. I was inspired by one of our favorite restaurants in Richmond, Joe's Inn. This was where we went on our first date back in 2004, and when we go back to visit family or friends in Richmond, we still enjoy eating here.

One of the best meals on the menu at Joe's is the Spaghetti A la Joe and Spaghetti A la Greek. When I tweeted about it on Tuesday evening, a few of my twitter pals asked for the recipe. This is my take at creating my own baked spaghetti dish. It was very good, but it wasn't perfect, so at the end I'll write changes I plan to make next time...


Awesome Sauce (I found this recipe on my friend Anna's blog and I jazzed it up just a tad):
1 28oz can of whole tomatoes (San Marzano if possible)
5 Tablespoons of butter - a very necessary ingredient! Don't leave it out.
1 med onion, peeled and halved
1/2 cup white wine
1/2 T garlic powder
1 t dried oregano

Stick all the ingredients in a sauce pan and let simmer for 45 mins or so. Take the onion out and you're ready to serve.

Spaghetti A la Rachel:
spaghetti noodles (I used thin spaghetti)
awesome sauce (see above)
1 package Feta cheese
2 cups shredded Mozzarella Cheese
1 cup shredded Pecorino Romano
1 cup Ricotta Cheese (I used fat free)


Preheat oven to 400. Cook spaghetti noodles according to package. Drain noodles and add to large bowl. Mix noodles with sauce, then mix in ricotta cheese. Slowly mix in 1 cup of Mozzarella, 1/2 the package of feta, and 1/2 cup of the Pecorino Romano. Pour the contents of bowl into a 9x13 casserole dish. Cover the top with the remaining Mozzarella, Pecorino Romano, and some of the feta (I did about half of what I had left in the package). Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes. Take foil off and move to broiler for 4 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes, then serve and enjoy!

Changes...
If I made this again, I might use Provolone instead of Mozzarella, only because when I visited the Joe's website this morning, I noticed on their menu that they do that. Simple change.

I'd also use only about 3/4 of the spaghetti in the package, or I'd make more sauce. It was just a little too dry for my liking. J didn't seem to mind though.

12 comments:

  1. YUM! Those are all the ingredients I use for homemade lasagna, but would be so much easier because you don't have to layer it! I will definitely try this sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all the ingredients that you used. I will have make that pasta sauce the next time I need sauce. It looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooo i like the upgrades!!! i might have to try it that way. Soooo yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you and loving a little more sauce on my spaghetti!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That looks and sounds really good! I'm a big fan of spaghetti so I might have to give this a try next week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds amazing! I am going to try it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love butter in my pasta sauce. It really does make such a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh God, Joe's Inn is the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm, sounded yuuummy! I am going to have to try that sauce, mmm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leave it to me to look past the delicious food and on to the wine in the background. But sometime you should tell me about your stemless wine glasses - I've been considering buying some for some time now. :)

    ReplyDelete