Wednesday, March 31, 2010

worms (baaaaaarf)

If I could stomach it, I would have photographed today's blog topic (because let's be honest, we all love a post with photos), but I just couldn't do it this time. I had lots of subjects that I could have taken pictures of, but there's no way. Just wasn't possible.

My friends and family know this about me, and I figured it's time to share it on the ol' blog.

I have a major worm phobia. The precise name for this disorder of mine would be Scoleciphobia.

And the problem with this fear is that every year around this time, it begins to rain a lot. And every time it rains, worms take over my sidewalks and streets. They are everywhere. Slimy, creepy, and trying to kill me. And there's even a smell that goes with it. There's a difference in the smell of a rain with no worms and a rain where the worms become the rulers of the sidewalks.

This fear developed as a child, but really took over in college when I had to walk everywhere. I'd be lying if I said I never skipped a class because of worms on the sidewalk.

And what might be even worse than the slimy worms on rainy days (I am gagging as I type this), is the day after when the sun comes out and the worms dry up and crunchy and waiting to be stepped on outside.

YUUUUUUCK.

I spend pretty much all of March through May with my eyes glued to the pavement when I am outside because the idea of stepping on these things (dried up or in the rain) makes me crazy to think about. But it's a horrible cycle, because if I am looking at the ground, that means I have to look at them, which in turns make me want to puke. It's really a terrible problem. I hate stepping on them, because I then imagine them being tracked into my house. Because of this, I beg my poor husband to watch where he walks outside. He puts up with a lot.

So now that you all probably think I'm nuts (which I am, it's okay, I know it), please let me know if you live in a part of the country that doesn't experience "rain worms" the way we do in Virginia. I'm in the market for a wormless new neighborhood!

14 comments:

  1. LOL! Sadly, I live in a worm infested region of the country as well, and I know exactly what you are talking about! They don't gross me out, but the smell is pretty funky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate worms too! I actually screamed once when I was outside because I swear it was coming towards me. Hubs thought I was crazy! They're definitely everywhere here in Ohio when it rains.

    ps. I'm about 98% sure I've never touched a worm [unless it was when I was little and don't remember]

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, upstate SC is out of the question for you too. I never really knew the rain worm smell until college when I had to walk everywhere. But, boy do I know what you are talking about. They were especially bad around the science building (ironic?). I could always smell them before I even got anywhere close to the building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I thought I was the only one out there that had this sort of issue! I hate them! And when it rains, I dread taking Kaci outside (our puppy) to potty...because I know there are some how sticking to my shoes! ACK! It grosses me out just thinkin' about it! But I feel ya...I have the same issue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like Houston is your place then- no worms here! There was one time I saw teeny tiny worms after rain on the driveway, but nothing smelly, gross, or crunchy. And that was only once! You'd be safe here. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. They gross me out! Maybe not to the same extent as you but they are freaky. At my work they've been everywhere on the sidewalk and I've had to keep an eye on the ground as I walk. HATE that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They gross me out! Maybe not to the same extent as you but they are freaky. At my work they've been everywhere on the sidewalk and I've had to keep an eye on the ground as I walk. HATE that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh god! I hate them too. So disgusting. They are really bad in California when it rains.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same way about throw up... seriously, this phobia controls my life. You won't find me in theme parks, a big parties, vegas, bars... any where I think someone may throw up with out being nervous. I'm a total wreck around it, so I totally know what you mean with a crazy phobia!

    ReplyDelete
  10. when you will know i'm doing a worms science work with my pupils who certainly going to puke immediatly ! Phoebia is a real problem ( mine is spiders and snakes) but if you want i can welcome you in Brittany , no worms rain here only "snails" (corrects

    ReplyDelete
  11. lol...unfortunately we also live in a worm-infested area when it rains. This post cracked me up! We all have our crazy little phobias!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Haha! I have to say that I don't think I've ever experienced this issue, but would probably be totally grossed out if I did. Want to come live in Oklahoma?

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's not any better in my little slice of the VA. The "rain worms" even make it into our laundry room - double ick!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've never met anyone else with such an irrational fear of worms as I have myself! (Well, since I turned 10 or something.)

    I hate them. They make me not want to garden! I jump and scream like a little girl. Worse than spiders for sure.

    Ewwww

    ReplyDelete