Monday, April 26, 2010

Exceptional in life...

Last week before leaving for Atlanta for the Beth Moore conference on insecurity, I called my best friend Tyler, and I told her how I was afraid the other girls I was meeting at the conference might not like me because I my toes wouldn't be pretty because I didn't have time or money to get a pedicure. This little story is exactly why I was going to see Beth talk. My insecurities may not be as obvious or clear as they are in some women, but they certainly run deep.

I constantly worry about what others think of me. I worry about the way I look and the size of my hips. I'm also wondering if I am wearing things that are "in style" (fashion wouldn't be a strong point for me!). And I am very often paranoid that I'm the "third wheel" in a group of girls.

Saying that I have insecurities would certainly be an accurate statement. Granted, they've gotten better in my adult life, but they are still dragging me down in my walk with Christ.

There are so many things I got from the conference that I want to put down on this blog, but it's nearly impossible to do that. If I had to truly sum up the biggest lesson I got from Beth's talk, it would be this: God is SO much bigger than any insecurity in my life. I love when Beth said that insecurity is not a weakness, it is an unbelief. Every time I let my insecurities take over, I am not only hurting myself, but I am not living the life that God intended for me.

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!
2 Corinthians 5:17

This is a verse that has always been near and dear to my heart, but after my weekend in Atlanta facing my insecurities, it has a new meaning. I am so thankful for the women who encouraged me to fly to Atlanta for this conference. I know that my heart and mind have been forever changed.

The girls that I met this weekend, were all just fabulous. Despite all of my own insecurities going into this weekend, I was quickly relieved to find out that each of them were just as sweet in person as they were on their blog, and after 2 minutes with each of them, I felt pretty darn stupid for worrying about my toenails last week.


Thanks to each of you for making this weekend a memorable one! I can't find the words to state how much I loved every second of it.

I'll be back later this week with a post about all the fun we had! Tonight, I just needed to get down all of the things that have been going through my mind and have been pressing on my heart since Saturday. It's amazing how one weekend away with "new" friends can change my whole outlook on myself. He is truly amazing!

(also...go visit Adventures of a Southern Newlywed's Blog for a chance to win Beth's book, So Long Insecurity!)

8 comments:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could have gone to this conference because I know all too well about insecurities. ;)

    And, girl, don't worry about your toes...have you seen my hands?! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it so funny how every single one of us can write a pages long post about how we're all worrying about and insecure about the same thing?! I am so glad Beth did this conference so we can all learn to walk in the Truth of who we are! :-)

    So so so good to meet you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you had a great time, and don't worry about those toes silly! As a runner, I guarantee that yours look better than mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like it was so good! I have some friends who went to a simulcast of the conference here in TX and loved it. Good for you for sharing your insecurities and God's truth with blog world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an experience! I've heard the conference truly changes your perspective, and I am dying to go see her soon, at some point! So glad you have a fresh outlook thanks to new friendships with sisters in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like such an amazing experience and I am so happy you had such a great time. I cannot wait to read her book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. friend! i loved meeting you and getting to know you better. i loved hearing your beautiful voice singing with joy near me!

    it was a great experience and i'm so happy that we were all about to take so much away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. it was such a wonderful weekend! i am so glad we decided to go and I had so much fun being flying buddies and roomies with you! isn't crazy all of the insecurities we all have/are continuing to get rid of? :) I didn't even inspect your toes, you looked beautiful :)

    ReplyDelete