Thursday, April 22, 2010

How did we meet?

Back in the spring of 2004, a good friend of my mom's asked if I was interested in working at the civil engineering firm she worked at for the summer. She needed an administrative intern, mainly someone to file papers, run errands, and shop for the door prizes at monthly office picnics. She also mentioned that there would be lots of cute engineer interns working their for the summer. This nine to five job sounded way more promising than waiting tables again.

I began my job on May 17, 2004. As I walked into my office*, I watched a boy with insanely large side burns and curly hair pop out from under a computer desk. He had been hooking up my computer. He was introduced to me as the IT intern, and he quickly left the room. I thought he was cute, but then I went on my way thinking we wouldn't see much of each other.

*And by office, I mean a giant room we called "the cave" with folding tables used for desks and 5 engineers plus me in a corner. It was a bizarre work environment for that one summer, but so much fun. The following summer when I returner, the company had moved to a nicer place with real cubicles and desks. I still prefer "the cave."

At the end of the day, I had been out doing some training things, but came back to my desk to find a cell phone with a sticky note on it. It read something like this...

You are the most beautiful girl I've ever seen. I hooked you up with a company cell phone for the summer. Below is my number, call me tonight... Puffy heart, J

Actually....it didn't happen like that it all. It just said to email him if I had problems hooking the phone up. I know. The first note would have been much cooler.

And email him I did. As cheesy as it may sound, our little office romance was started with a lot of emails. I would purposely break things on my computer and cell phone so I could email him to come fix it. My sister and another intern friend began to set up "intern outings" so J and I would hang out outside of work since neither one of us was initiate anything. He went to college 9 hours from my college, so a relationship just didn't seem likely to me. It just wasn't going to work out.

But, as I'm sure you can all guess, it worked out just fine. By the end of the summer, I knew he was pretty special. We went back to college not "dating", but we talked almost every day. And at the end of that semester, we were officially together.

6 years later, he's still my computer whiz and I'm the dumb one who still breaks things and has no idea how to use a smart phone. We're a perfect match!



November 2004...I told you his hair was crazy.

J's graduation from Vandy in 2006

Wedding Day 2008


*This post was inspired by Kelly's Show Us Your Life for today! Visit her blog to see more!*

17 comments:

  1. You guys are so cute! I love that wedding photo. You look soooo happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful couple and beautiful wedding photo. what a cute story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice post and nice story! AH L'amour ! A true romance on the "job's world" . The first moment of the "met" is always special .

    You're cute both of you but say to J he have fantastic curly hair !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute story! I didn't know your hubby graduated from vandy in '06...I did too! small world :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a cute story! Love the wedding picture, you look so happy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. you tricked me! i thought i knew the story until jeb's note... i went to go grab the phone and call les to confirm, but then i read the next line ( :

    have a great weekend! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a sweet story, I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!! You are cracking me up with the sticky note message! Hilarious!! The first note would have been way cooler, but look what happened anyways! Y'all make a great couple!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ahhh I love this story! Thanks so much for posting it. You two are super cute.

    Looks like he ditched the puffy hair though.

    I think emailing is a great way to get to know each other - my hubby and I would AIM (remember when that was super popular?) all day when we were first dating. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ah what a sweet story! You should recap the proposal next.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your story is great! I love your "imaginary" note vs. the real one - ha! And his hair reminds me of my bf's. It's super crazy curly! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a cute story!! I love your pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet story! Glad you got your sweet IT man!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your face in that last pic is just pure joy!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. cute story! I met my hubs at work too. But I didn't get any cute, fun emails!

    Love that last picture. You look positively overjoyed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great story.....Great pictures...
    Happy Sunday. I have a few hours to blog hop ......so glad that I stopped here....Be sure and stop by and read about a miracle in our family....
    http://teresa-grammygirlfriend.blogspot.com/2010/04/i-think-god-smiled.html
    http://grammyababychangeseverything.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete