Wednesday, April 14, 2010

"...sweet potato pie and I shut my mouth"

No, this is not a post about sweet potato pie. It's actually about sweet potato fries, I just couldn't resist using the lyrics to the Alabama song!

Moving on...

I am a true and devoted fan of all things sweet potato. I love the casserole, I love it baked, I love the chips, and I certainly love the fries...you get the point.

We eat sweet potatoes at least once a week. They are insanely cheap (last week I bough them for 38 cents a pound!), and they are full of all kinds of good things for you. Or so I've read...

Here's how I make my fries. But if you're not into all the prep work, I will say, Trader Joe's has a great frozen version. Much simpler and still delicious.

Ingredients: 1 big sweet potato, extra virgin olive oil, salt, chili powder. Piece of cake, right?

Begin by cutting your potato into "fries", this takes awhile and is the part I hate the most.


Next, either pour some EVOO on a cookie sheet, or you could even use PAM. Just enough so your fries won't stick.

Spread fries out over the pan, trying not to overlap them. I then drizzle a little EVOO on top.


Sprinkle some salt on top, I did about 1-2 teaspoons.


And finally, pour some chili powder on top. This is my favorite part! Use as much or as little as you'd like.


I bake mine in the oven at 400 for about 30 minutes. Half way through I take 'em out and flip them/move them around. After 30 minutes, I stick them in the broiler for 2-4 minutes just to get them a little crispy. Be careful though, they burn quick!

And there ya go! I would have a finished photo, but like always, I ate them before I remembered that step. Oops!

Enjoy, and if you have any variations or tips for making your sweet potato fries, please share! I know there are lots of ways to make these, and I'd love to hear you tricks.

14 comments:

  1. I absolutely love sweet potato fries!! These sound divine and I will have to try them ASAP!! I usually just sprinkle some kosher salt on them right after they come out of the oven. So delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Those look so delicious! I think they'd also be good with a little cinnamon and nutmeg, maybe for dessert or as a snack. Especially in the fall. mmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to nuke mine before putting them into the oven. It helps fluff them up a little bit. The downside is that you have to blot them completely dry afterward or they just get soggy in the oven and don't crisp.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we had sweet potato tempura sushi the other day at sticky rice... SO good! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  5. YUM! This looks delicious! Ya know...I grew up in Idaho (land of potatoes) but I don't think I have ever cooked with sweet potatoes! I starred this in my google reader so I can give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love, love, love sweet potato fries. I microwave it for about 2 minutes so its easier to cut. I always serve mine with honey mustard...either buy it or make my own with honey, mustard and mayo. delish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We make your sweet potato fries the same way! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. MMMM...I love sweet potato fries. But mine usually come frozen in a bag... must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alexia makes a good frozen sweet tater fry, too...but we use the TJ version a lot.

    We love sweet taters, too!!

    When we do them as fries we always sprinkle them with cinnamon & sugar. The kids love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They look delicious! I am a huge sucker for the Trader Joe's frozen ones but after seeing your pictures, I'm pretty motivated to make my own too! Thanks for sharing the chili powder idea, I will definitely be adding that next time!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We use cayenne pepper on ours, but I think chili powder might be even better!

    ReplyDelete