Thursday, May 6, 2010

Flashback: May 6, 2006

Yesterday Megan posted about the ways her college years shaped her, and then my friend Sarah wrote about her graduation two years ago from our beloved alma mater, JMU. You've both inspired this post.



Today marks the four year anniversary since my college graduation. How in the world has it been four years? I often wonder how I even have a full time job. I still feel like a crazy, lost college kid not sure what to do with my life. While I may have a husband and 24 kids I keep track of each day, I certainly don't feel like someone who has been done with college for four years. It's unbelievable where the time goes.

During my time at JMU, a lot in my life changed. I truly gave my life over to Christ. I met some of my best friends. I began the path to a career I had dreamed about since I was eight. I found a true love for working with people for the good of our university (I was a school ambassador...this means tours, alumni, serving current students). I managed to live in a house with seven other girls. And one lesson that may have made the most impact on me, I learned what it means to have an open mind.

Those four years (well, five since I was there for grad school) in little ol' Harrisonburg, VA had their ups and downs, but I wouldn't change a thing. I loved every minute of it. Even all of the minutes I spent smelling dog food from the local chicken (or was it turkey?) factory. I wouldn't trade it.

Let's look back on my big day on May 6, 2006, shall we?





College of Education Ceremony

This week the class of 2010 will graduate. It's crazy to think they came in the year after I graduated. Here's to you fellow Dukes! I must steal this from Sarah's blog. I just love it too much to not pass on...

“Make it your ambition to live a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, so that your daily life will win the respect of outsiders”


8 comments:

  1. What a great post! I may have to borrow this on Monday (my college always graduated on Mother's Day).

    Thanks for sharing your pictures with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mother's Day marks TEN WHOLE YEARS since I graduated from college...and I'm still walking around lost. LOL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's so funny that we kind of have the same timeline. Same graduation from college, same wedding date. I wonder what else is the same?!?! Can you believe we have been out of college the same amount we were in it?!? CRAZY!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel! I graduated that same weekend and I can't believe that its been 4 years!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVED this post!!!! Makes me wish I had the traditional college experience but everyone’s path is different :) Loved the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. We graduated from college on the same day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. crazy how fast the time after college has gone.. I also still feel like a young college girl and I've been out for 5 years!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it crazy that it's been 4 years already? Although technically my college never had graduation until the end of May. :)

    ReplyDelete