Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Innnnnn West Philadelphia....

This past Friday J dropped Layla off at the kennel (sad face), came to pick me up from work, and we headed north for Philadelphia!


Last spring our two good friends, M & H, moved to Philadelphia for H's graduate school. We miss them dearly in Virginia, but sometimes it's fun to have friends in far away places so you get the chance to go visit them.

Our weekend was full of cheesesteaks, wine, card games, and a lot of freedom. Philadelphia is really into all things patriotic. I loved it all! I visited Philly back in 2001 (or was it 2002?) with my family, but it was still fun to see it all again.

I have a thing for taking pictures with statues. This would be the second one in a month.


The good ol' Liberty Bell

Philly had lots of "Phanatics" all over, in front of businesses and famous places. This was the Phanatic at Betsy Ross' house....notice the clever patchwork design.

This was in some crazy underground tunnel we used to get to the subway at one point. It was rather creepy.

Stopped at Reading Terminal Market and had some Amish pretzels for a snack. I want to eat one of these for a snack everyday for the rest of my life. They were so so so good!

And of course we saw the Rocky steps. After taking this picture J and M ran to the top.
But even better, we watched a little boy around the age of 2 run up, down, and back up again, all with a big smile on his face.


And a boat house by the Schuylkill River.

We went out to eat on Saturday night at the world's loudest restaurant...seriously, there were 19 women screaming behind us, but it was so delicious. In Pennsylvania, they have some odd beer and wine laws, and a lot of restaurants in the city allow you to BYOB, so it was fun going out to a nice dinner and not paying an arm and a leg for a glass of wine.

It was a great weekend away, but I will say, that picking up Layla at dooggy day care on Sunday afternoon was pretty wonderful, too. As much as I missed her, I'm thinking that she may have not even thought twice about us since she was surrounded by other dogs for the weekend. We've had some bad boarding experiences in the past, so I was happy to see her tail wagging when we picked her up this time. She must be growing up!

And now I sound like a crazy dog lady. Siiiiiigh....I guess that's not far from the truth!

17 comments:

  1. so glad you had such a great time! and i love the pictures. but you know i love the statue picture the best! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks like yall had such a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You take great pictures. Ty and I are going there in August and your pics made me so excited. And as for a crazy dog lady--I am right there with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I moved to Texas from Philly and you just made me miss home so much! Thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the pics, it looks like you had a great time! Don't worry about the dog thing, I have the same "crazy dog lady issues." Our first dog broke her leg while being boarded once, so now we have major boarding anxiety. We have to go out of town for 4 seperate long weekends this summer and I'm already a nervous wreck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a fun trip!! i too have a thing for taking pics with statues! haha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos! The one of you and Ben Franklin is too cute! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun weekend!! And I will always be a crazy dog lady, especially when I have to board my kids...after King Arthur was injured last year and had $3K knee surgery, I think I am justified :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a fun trip! I haven't been to Philly since I was 13 :)

    Glad Layla is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A couple weekends ago we dropped Kadira off to be boarded for a couple days for the first time and I felt so guilty I CRIED IN THE PARKING LOT. You don't get more crazy dog lady then that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks like such a fun trip! I've never been to Philly but am dying to go. I'm a sucker for all things history.

    And don't worry.. my favorite part of the trip is picking up the dogs from the kennel too. We can both be crazy dog mama's =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I’ve always wanted to go there. So fun! Loved all the pics and this totally made me think of the Fresh Prince song, haha!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great pictures~ :-) It looks like a fun trip!

    ReplyDelete
  14. it sounded like such a fun trip! and I love all of the pics!! we took my kids, when I taught, to Philly and went to Reading Terminal Market (for cheese steaks too! :)), the Rocky steps, and all around. The pretzels sound so yummy too! :) so glad you guys had such a fun weekend! and that Layla was well taken care of too :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh what a great trip! I've never been to Philly but would love to add that to my LONG list of places to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Adam & I have a very similar pic with the Liberty Bell and we absolutely adore Reading Terminal Market.

    Looks like y'all had a really fun trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Now the Fresh Prince theme will be in my head all day, THANKS! :)

    ReplyDelete