Monday, May 3, 2010

Menu Monday, it's a good one this week!

I am feeling pretty ambitious this week and I'm trying two new recipes. This past Friday I stayed late at school for Bingo night to try and sell some yearbooks, and as I sat there not selling any yearbooks, I read this month's issue of Everyday with Rachael Ray. My mother in law has gotten me a subscription to this as a Christmas gift for the past few years, and I really do love it. However, I often never fully get through an entire issue. I'm glad I read through it this month. It was packed with some good stuff!

Our meals are a little pasta heavy this week, but I don't mind. Pasta dishes tend to make lots of leftovers, which each of us loves to take for lunch.

My meals this week:

J's meals this week:

My version of steak fajitas...
I have read and tried many recipes for steak fajitas and steak tacos on the web, and this is a mix of the ones I have enjoyed. The marinade from For the Love of Cooking is what will make this meal, though! I want to lick the cutting board after the steak is gone. The marinade is just that good.

Fajita Ingredients:
1 lb of steak flank
3 plum tomatoes
big bunch of cilantro
1 lime
2 small white onion
1 avocado
pinch of sea salt
flour tortillas
2 tbsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Marinade Ingredients:
1/3 cup vinegar
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup olive oil
1 tsp cumin
1-2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp onion powder
1 1/2 tsp oregano
2 limes, juiced
4-5 cloves garlic minced


Begin by marinating your steak. I use THIS marinade from For the Love of Cooking. I think the steak is best if you marinate for at least 12 hours. I often marinate the night before.

Chop up all tomatoes, cilantro, and 1 onion and mix in bowl. This will be your pico de gallo . Squeeze half a lime over it and sprinkle with sea salt. Refrigerate until it's time to eat.

Set oven to about 250. Wrap your tortillas in foil and put them in over for about 10 minutes.

Cut your other onion into strips. Brown in pan with olive oil (or butter if you're not watching your calories and fat intake!). When they're brown, cover with foil to keep them warm.

While tortillas are heating up, grill your steak to your liking (I usually broil ours). When it's done, let it cool for a few minutes, then cut in slices against the grain.

Slice your avocado.

Fill tortilla shells with 2-3 pieces of steak, pico de gallo, onions, a few slices of avocado, and a squeeze of lime and eat! Yum yum!

*Extra additions...you could add grilled bell peppers, jalapenos, cheese, sour cream...lots you could add to this!

10 comments:

  1. Yumm!!! those sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of your dishes sound amazing!!!! Thanks for the steak fajitas recipe!! I definitely want to make that one this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, it all sounds delicious! There's a cajun chicken pasta that I like at a resturant we go to, and the Pioneer Woman version sounds very similar! I think I'll definitely have to give that one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have you tried the cajun chicken pasta yet? I can't wait to see how it turns out, I have been wanting to try it for awhile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam made me the cajun chicken pasta a while ago and I loved it. Especially because I didn't have to make it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I starred this in my reader. I love steak fajitas, but I haven't found a good recipe yet. I'm sure this one will be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds so good! I wish I was as organized as you are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh yummy yummy yummy! i love fajitas and that cajun chicken pasta sounds SO yummy! and so does the other spaghetti dish too :) we love pasta dishes too and definitely good for leftovers :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I love Rachel Ray recipes! I'm trying to be good and cook at home all this week as well!

    ReplyDelete