Thursday, May 27, 2010

the time I broke my elbow

Once upon a time during my junior year of college, when I was a just a little 20 year old, I went out in public looking like this...

I know you're probably wondering why I was looking so cool on this September evening back in 2004.

Why, I was off to the local roller rink for a night of wacky tacky roller skating...

A very natural thing for college girls to do on their Friday nights. Am I wrong?

And let's not ignore my pose in this photo. Apparently throwing gang signs in the air seemed appropriate on this night. (And yes KP, I am sharing this lovely picture of you with all of the world wide webs!)

Anyhow...it was a fun night of roller skating in our wacky and tackiest, and all was well in the night until the last 10 minutes when I was over by a table, STANDING STILL, and my feet sort of just went out from under me.

Let me repeat that for you...I was NOT SKATING. I was STANDING STILL. I am the girl who who broke her elbow by standing still and falling flat on her bottom.

I went to break my fall with my hands and the pressure went straight to my left elbow leaving me with a hairline fracture. So, my dear friend KP took me to the ER ...the saddest part was, I was still in my wacky tacky clothes, minus a few pieces. Off to the ER we went in my camo pants and tie dye.


After an x-ray and several hours of waiting, the doctor finally came in, to report that yes, my elbow was indeed fractured, and I'd be getting the largest temporary elbow cast in the history of the Rockingham Memorial Hospital.


I was not too happy about this. In fact, I may have had a bit a mental break down that weekend worrying about how I would survive for the rest of the semester with a broken elbow. I temporarily believed that my inability to wash my hair and put on my deodorant would be a good reason to drop our for the semester. Thank goodness I came to my senses.


And that, my friends, is the tale of the time I broke my elbow. Up until that point in my life, I had a lot of pride in the fact that I had never broken or sprained a bone; however, I was happy to trade in that pride to able to tell the story about the time I broke my arm by standing up, all while wearing camo and tie dye, and 3 multi colored scarves.

That is a much cooler story to share.

10 comments:

  1. Hah, I love it! Surprisingly I too have broken my elbow, although I did it at my tiny twisters gym class when I was 2 years old by falling just right on the spring floors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl, what a story to tell and I’m sure one you’ll never live down… haha!! And you’re rocking the tacky!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is QUITE a story! I had a cast that big when I attempted to do a cartwheel in elementary school and ended up breaking my arm in 100 places. Those suckers are no fun. But on the bright side, you looked TOTALLY fabulous while doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that sounds so painful! A broken elbow!?!??!

    Great story though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I broke my elbow too! But my story is not nearly as good as yours. I did it jumping out of a tree at age 7. So fun you have the awesome pictures to go along with the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i think the outfit spoke for itself?? That alone was a cool story :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I didn't even know you could break your elbow! I'm sorry you got hurt, but I did laugh a little at your story and those clothes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. haha, love the story!! I broke my elbow in high school during a play rehearsal. my new boyfriend (at the time) dropped me during a dance move and i landed on my elbow! Your story is funnier though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Is your elbow ok or have you still got pain?Hope you feel better.

    ReplyDelete