Thursday, June 3, 2010

Guacamole Obsession!

Now that it's summer and the weather is constantly beautiful, I have been having some serious cravings for guacamole. It's sad how much I constantly want to eat it. It's usually around 2-3 times a day. Seriously, it's an obsession.


The good news is, I am a super guacamole maker, at least according to my fifteen year old brother.

Jason happens to be the world's pickiest eater. The boy lives off of pizza, mac & cheese, chicken nuggets, and fries. A few weeks ago when I was visiting my family, I was having a craving, so I ran to the store to buy the ingredients to make my guac. Mr. Picky stuck his nose up at the nasty green slime I was mixing in a bowl, but somehow the Tastebud Gods (they're real, trust me), were shining down on me and I was able to convince Jason to try it. He now begs my mother to make my guacamole recipe for him on a semi-daily basis. I don't even know who this boy is anymore.

Anyhow...my point is, it's just THAT good. Good enough to change the food likings of the world's pickiest fifteen year old.

Here's my recipe, which has been adapted from several different variations I've seen over the years. The biggest key to good guacamole is the willingness to taste test through out making it to make sure it's got the perfect amount of everything you like!


Ingredients:
3-4 large avocados
Minced Garlic (I use the stuff in the jar)
1 lime
big bunch of cilantro (about 1/2 cup)
2 plum tomatoes
salsa
1 tsp of garlic powder
1-2 tsp. of sea salt

Directions:
1. Peel avocados, put in bowl and "mush" them up with a fork
2. Dice the plum tomatoes, add to bowl
3. Throw in a spoonful or two of salsa
4. Throw in a BIG heaping spoonful or minced garlic.
5. Add lime juice from 1 lime. (I use a juicer to get as much juice as possible).
6. Toss in garlic powder and sea salt
7. Taste your guacamole. If it's not salty enough for your liking, I recommend adding a tad more garlic. Extra salsa will add more flavor if that's what you're lacking. I find that tasting it along the way is the best way to make a good bowl of guacamole!
8. Open up a Dos Equis and a big bag chips, go sit on your front porch, and enjoy!


Guacamole on the shrimp fajitas we had this week...I highly recommend this meal!

16 comments:

  1. I'm obsessed with guacamole too. I could probably just eat mexican for every meal anyway and then add guacamole and I would be so content.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl...I love me some guacamole too!!! I could eat it and Mexican food like EVERY day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited to make this! I love guac and have never made it before. Very excited to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks delicious! I love guac, it's the perfect Summer treat. I rarely make it fresh but now I'm motivated and can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my goodness, looks delish!!!!! I love me some guac. Will have to try this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! I might have to make some guacamole tonight now! We usually just use this seasoning packet that goes straight in with the avocados because it's super easy, or buy it pre-made from the deli at the grocery. I'm now tempted to try the real thing, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmmmmm I love guac!!! I make it sans the cilantro (allergic). It is soooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMM!!! That recipe looks fabulous, and I hate bland guac! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That guac looks delish. I am going to have to try it out this weekend. Can't wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love me some guac!! I could eat it everyday. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree that the MOST important part of making the perfect guac is tasting throughout the process :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love guac so much! Now I'm hungry!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. ooooh, I've been eating a lot of guacamole lately - but have never made it myself. Your ingredient list is so fresh and delicious sounding I'm going to have to try it myself!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Can't wait to try it! I love guac!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I lurve me some guacamole. Definitely am going to have to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  16. haha, mmmm, looks yuuuumm-y!! when my taste buds stop playing (first trimester) tricks on me and guac sounds good again, haha, I can't wait to try your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete