Wednesday, June 2, 2010

History Facts


Another field trip to Jamestown, and I have survived. This is a big trip for a lot of students all over Virginia, as this settlement is a huge part of state and country's history. Here's a little recap and some pictures from our trip last year. For those of you not in the know, I'll provide you with a mini history lesson on Jamestown and the Native Indians in the surrounding areas...
  • Jamestown is our country's first permanent English settlement, established in 1607 on a peninsula along the James River. Prior to Jamestown, there had been failed attempts at starting a settlement at Roanoke Island, which is located in present day NC.
  • Only 1 man died on the 144 day journey to Jamestown from England. He died around the Caribbean from heat stroke.
  • Pocahontas did not marry John Smith, as the Disney movie claims; instead she married John Rolfe, the man known for cultivating and establishing tobacco as a cash crop in the new English settlement. John Smith was a great leader in Jamestown and he is well known for exploring the Chesapeake Bay and drawing many maps of this area. If it weren't for John Smith, many historians believe the Jamestown settlement would not have prospered.
  • 104 English gentlemen left England for Jamestown in December 1607. Within a few months of settling, less than 40 men were still alive.
  • When settlers died, they buried them in mass graves so the Native Indians would only see one grave. They didn't want to appear to be struggling to their enemies.
And there you have it. 5 fun facts about Jamestown. If you're a history buff, I hope you've enjoyed this mini lesson. If you're thinking that I'm a big nerd for sharing this on my blog, you can feel free to call me a dork in the comments!

6 comments:

  1. I love fun history facts! I haven't been to Jamestown in awhile but a couple years ago my best friend and I took a trip to Colonial Williamsburg. Ahh, it brings back memories of elementary school field trips! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!! I am such a history nerd, this is so cool. I have never been, but it is definitely on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing those facts!! We briefly discuss John Smith since 4th grade is all about state history. But it's always fun to learn about other states!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you're a nerd at all! (Maybe it's because I am a history nerd?!? HA!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm a closet history nerd, so I love this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love history and thought these facts were awesome. Sounds like Jamestown is somewhere I need to visit!

    ReplyDelete