Wednesday, June 9, 2010

the latest fashion trend...

To those of you without children, this may be new to you; however I'm sure those of you who have kids or work with them will know exactly what I'm talking about....

SILLY BANDZ

About a month ago a girl in my class had about 30 jelly bracelets up and down her arms. They weren't normal jelly bracelets though. They were bumpy and rigid on the edges. A few days later another kid came to class wearing them, and by the end of the week, all twenty two of my kids had these all over their arms. These things have caught on like wildfire, and apparently it's not just at my school, it's all over. Several schools have banned them, as they can be major distraction to kids. I don't mind them, as long as they aren't being played with or traded when the kids are supposed to be working or listening. They know the rules, and they know that they become mine when I see this happening...which means that I am now up to 10 silly bandz of my own!


It's sort of a joke now though. They want to trade with me and some have even given me their duplicates they don't want. I am competing with a another teacher to have the most by the last day of school. In other words, I have totally fallen into the silly bandz craziness!


Have you seen kids in your area wearing these silly things? I only wish I had invented them! I'm sure the manufacturer is making millions right now!

23 comments:

  1. silly bands! oh man. a kindergartner "paid" me the other day for teaching his class with a dollar sign silly band. his words: "this will be your payment." he was quite serious and then everyone wanted to trade with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha, love it!! I wanted to do a post like this a while ago, but never got around to do it! I have a magical wand silly band that is my FAV!! Now that it's summer, I never wear them. Wonder if they will be "in style" in the fall?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sisters love silly bands. It's been a big trend here for a while now, it's kind of starting to die down though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Almost al of my students love these!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tooooo funny!!! Hope you win!!!! The craze over these things is unbelieveable, haha!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not heard of this trend before bu tit makes me smile! Made me think of snap bracelets :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This cracks me up! I'm a teacher too and these things are all over the place. I don't mind them either as long as they are doing their work and paying attention. I did, however, have an issue with one student chewing on them. I know...yuck! I've also developed quite a collection myself. I hope they are still "in" in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My husband and I are cracking up! YES! They are the rage in both high school and elementary school out here!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even the high-schoolers are wearing them! It's crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have never heard of them!! How funny! My daughter isn't old enough for that yet I guess:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been subbing and they are everywhere! The kids were making fun of me today because I said they were playing with them when apparently the correct term is "trading" haha. I guess I'm not as cool as those middle schoolers.

    I wish I had come up with them as well. They're such a simple idea but I'm sure whoever came up with them is raking it in for the time being.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just started teaching again and my students were wearing these today! One brought a whole pack to give to her friend.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Too funny! I saw those things in the store and wondered what they were! I didn't think they were bracelets though!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. We had a third grader nearly cut off the circulation in his arm with all the silly bands he was wearing. Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is hilarious! I love how your punishment for being distracting with them leads to you getting their bands! I hope you win the competition :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would say these things are so stupid, but then again we had slap bracelets. And there was a also a fad in my school where every girl wore these fake pacifier necklaces.

    Dave and I have some we've randomly gotten from his students. I think they're hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hahah, I love it! The kids at my school can't have silly bands because of a VERY STRICT dress code, but if they were allowed I'm sure I'd have the exact same problem. I secretly want some, because I'm fanscinated, but of course I haven't seen them anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've seen these but I didn't realize they were all different shapes of things.

    ReplyDelete
  19. We've got them at my house and I hate them! A buys them for the kids at 7-Eleven. I suppose that's better than loading them up on Slurpee's and candy, but still. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. haha I'm 24 and I have a giraffe shaped one that I've been wearing for about 7 months. I just thought it was cool, and then about 3 months ago they blew up! My friends all laugh and say I started the trend around here :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just saw one TWO minutes ago on facebook -- hysterical and perfect timing. They look so tight though and painful!

    ReplyDelete
  22. A co-workers' 7yo daughter gave me a glow in the dark one shaped like a tutu a few months ago. And for whatever reason, I've kept it. It glows in my bathroom every time I turn off the lights. I don't know why, but I keep it because it always makes me smile. haha

    ReplyDelete
  23. Even the high-schoolers are wearing them! It's crazy!
    Adsense Alternative

    ReplyDelete