Friday, July 30, 2010

Disney Music

In addition to loving just about every musical on the planet, I am also a lover of any Disney movie with a great soundtrack. Particularly those from the 90's before Pixar came in and took over in Disney animation. They tend to have my favorite music.

In no particular order (because my favorites change based on my mood) , here are my top 5 favorite songs from Disney movies.

{Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, & 6}

5. "I Won't Say (I'm in Love)" from Hercules. I particularly love singing this one loudly in my car. Fits very well into my vocal range!

4. While I love just about every song from the Tarzan soundtrack (mainly because I love all things Phil Collins) "Two Worlds" is probably my favorite. Only because I think of the movie and the way this song is used in it. I am pretty sure Tarzan was not a huge hit among the Disney films, but I always thought it was one of the better Disney animated movies from the 90's.

3. "I'll Make a Man Out of You"from Mulan. I'll be honest with you here. I really only love this song so much because it's Donny Osmond singing. I don't want to know what that says about me. This song comes on all the time on my Glee Pandora station and I LOVE IT.

2. There's something sweet, and almost kind. But he was mean and he was coarse and unrefined. But now he's dear, and so unsure...I wonder why I didn't see it there before...

Picture me singing this one for you...I could sing the whole Beauty and the Beast soundtrack front and backward for you. This just happens to be my particular favorite.

1. And finally, "Part of Your World" from The Little Mermaid. But c'mon, what little girl from the 90's didn't dream about singing like Ariel? Being the voice of a Disney princess may or may not have become a lifelong dream of mine after seeing this movie at the age of 6.

And you may be thinking, "Hold up, Rachel...where is The Lion King in this list? It's only some of the greatest Disney music written in our time. We all love a little Hakuna Matata. How could you leave it out?"

And to that I say, oops. I really should have given myself 6 spots of Disney favorites. I hadn't thought it through and now I am ashamed that I didn't think this through a little better. But, because this is my blog and I can do things how I like, we're going to add a 6th spot and award it to the entire The Lion King soundtrack. There is not one song from this movie that I don't love. How could Disney go wrong with Elton John and Tim Rice? They can't! Which is why I constantly find my self humming "Circle of Life"...well really just the tribal music in the beginning. You know, the "AAAAAAAAHHHH SUH-BIN-YAAAHHHH"...please tell me you know what I'm talking about?

And also just for fun...I read this on wikipedia this morning and thought it was interesting...

The story, which was influenced by the Bible stories of Joseph and Moses and the William Shakespeare play Hamlet, takes place in a kingdom of anthropomorphic animals in Africa

Who knew!

So please 'fess up...what are your favorite Disney tunes? Or are you part of the crowd that loathes a good Disney song?

20 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE some Disney music! I love all the music from Mary Poppins and Peter Pan although you hit right on the nose with Little Mermaid. "Kiss The Girl" will always be a favorite of mine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love, love Disney songs. So much so, I don't think I could pick favorites. The entire Lion King soundtrack is incredible. The Little Mermaid has pretty much always been my favorite 90's disney movie. In fact, I went through multiple tapes of that soundtrack because I kept listening to them so much that they wore out. I also loved the Pocahontas soundtrack. Also, the soundtrack to Robin Hood. Oo-de-lally!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Disney songs! Definitely the older ones though & not this new stuff! Little Mermaid's soundtrack has to be one of my favorites...love Kiss the Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a huge musical theater geek and got to play Belle in High School - singing all those songs was THE BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this post!! My favorite Disney song is definitely Part of Your World from the Little Mermaid!! (Also my favorite movie!)

    You should check out the Broadway soundtrack from the Little Mermaid. I saw the show a few years back and there was one song called "She's in Love" that is sooo adorable! :o)

    Have a great weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gahhhhh I love Disney music!! And Phil Collins is just perfect, haha. We can't forget some of the classics in Aladdin, either! Arabian Knights? One Jump Ahead? Friend Like Me? A Whole New World??? Oh my gosh, love love love!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely Part of Your World too.... I also like some of the songs from Pocahantas. Cute post, thanks for reminding me of my easier days for a few minutes:-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the little mermaid!! And my favorite song was part of your world for sure! And I love the love song from Lion King!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was singing songs from Beauty and the Beast to my baby daughter recently and my husband looked at me in awe...he couldn't beleive I know all the words. That one is my favorite, too. = )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Disney music..my FAVE!!! The Little Mermaid is my favorite, by far..has to do with the red hair! You picked some good ones! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Songs from Newsies and Why Should I Worry? from Oliver & Company have a permanent spot on my ipod :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Part of Your World is probably my fave, but seriously I kind of love them all. A Whole New World from Aladdin popped to mind as soon as I saw the title of this post. And the whole Lion King soundtrack is awesome. Phil Collins on the Tarzan soundtrack rocks.. Seriously, I could do this for days!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all the music from Mulan!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Disney music, especially Beauty and the Beast! I also really like Mary Poppins!:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. De-lurking to say I, too, LOVE the Disney musicals. Beauty and the Beast is my favorite, although I know all the music from almost all of them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This has me RUNNING to iTunes to download a bunch of Disney music. I adore Lion King and Beauty & the Beast. The Little Mermaid has a few good ones, as does Tarzan. I love the Toy Story sound track too!

    ok itunes here I come... just take my wallet!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I LOVE Disney music! My favs are all the stuff from the Lion King (I adore Elton John) I like the Tarzan stuff because I love Phil Collins, "Part Of Your World" is awesome and "A Whole New World" from Aladdin is great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Haha. Is it bad that I don't really like old Disney movies? We didn't watch a lot when I was little. But I do love Cinderella! :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's only been a couple of weeks since our journey began but we are so over the moon excited! I just wanted to drop in and invite you along for the ride - either you're a follower of my OTHER blog or just a sweet person I'd love to come along!

    Hopefully, the secrecy won't last long... www.DefinitelyMaybeBaby.com

    Much love, luck, and blessings!!

    The *Maybe* Baby Mama

    ReplyDelete
  20. I LOVE all of these! And I definitely agree with you about the Tarzan thing, an underated movie that is realy good! Mulan comes on my pandora station all the time also! I had no idea it was Donny Osmond!

    ReplyDelete