Monday, August 2, 2010

Take Me Home, Country Roads

Over the weekend we attended our first wedding of the year. In 2009, we were invited to 9 weddings, and while we loved watching so many of our close friends tie the knot and celebrate with them, it's been kind of nice to only have two weddings on the calendar for 2010.

The wedding was for a friend of J's from his church youth group. It was held at a beautiful old home in the mountains of West Virginia that belonged to the bride's family. This home has been in her family since the Revolutionary War. Lots of history at this pretty wedding!

Since the wedding was in the country (and I mean WAY OUT in the country), we stayed at my college town the night before. The nearest hotel in West Virginia was 45 minutes from the wedding site, and my college town was just 1 hour and 15 minutes. And really, I love any chance I get to visit Harrisonburg, it's one of my favorite places in the whole world!

We went to dinner at one of my favorite H'burg restaurants (Dave's) after we checked into our hotel, and as we were walking I saw someone waving at us. Turns out one of my best college buds and a former roommate was there with her fiance. They were in town for the weekend to just get away and enjoy the mountains. We had a fabulous dinner together catching up and hearing about their upcoming wedding.


After dinner J and I went to Kline's for some ice cream!



Kline's is a local favorite. It's an old soft serve ice cream shop downtown that only has 3 flavors at a time: chocolate, vanilla, and the flavor of the week. Some of their flavors of the week are incredible (Pumpkin, Peanut Butter Cookies & Cream) but on Friday the flavor was Banana. Lame. Neither of us are banana fans.


We both ended up getting milkshakes. It ended up being a fabulous choice!


We woke up early on Saturday and drove west for the wedding. They really lucked out with weather. It was a gorgeous day and the rain that they were calling for held off all day.



And the bride and groom were so classy. The men all wore seersucker suits which J an I both loved. Seemed very appropriate for a daytime summer wedding that was outdoors.


They had the reception under a tent on the other side of the house. I love a wedding that requires no travel between ceremony and reception!



And yours truly with her handsome date. My dress was purchased in France. One of my only souvenirs from the trip. And yes. I used the "curl down" on my hair. Please refer to THIS video from Amy if you don't know what I'm talking about!


And this would be my husband with his father...they sort of matched!


All in all...a beautiful wedding and a great weekend away in the mountains. Makes me miss living there. If all goes according to my life plan, we'll be back there one day!

Congrats Laura and Matt!

22 comments:

  1. Lots of comments!
    1. What beautiful pictures! I love WV and have been there many times to visit family.
    2. The seersucker suites look great! I would have never thought of that. I know hubs would totally refuse to wear one!
    3. Your hair looks amazing!!
    4. Your dress is beautiful! I think that's the best souvenir you could have found!
    5. It's sounds like you had a wonderful weekend! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've had a slow summer for weddings this year too compared to the past few years! Love the curl down! Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh you look b-eautiful! I LOVE your dress and your hair looks awesome! I love souvenirs like that, so perfect, every time you wear it, it will have such wonderful memories! and a beautiful wedding too, so fun! Hubby has some family that live in Harrisonburg, they LOVE it, this summer it entered our potential places to live list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely wedding weekend!

    And, you looked absolutely gorgeous in that dress, my dear!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful wedding! I love your new dress... so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a pretty wedding! I love your dress and hair :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The wedding looks nice and you really look fantastic! Love your hair

    ReplyDelete
  8. You neglected to mention that the girl in the picture of the Kline's menu was holding a rabbit. You can barely see his head in the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your hair looks AWESOME and I LOVE that dress. You guys looked so cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't know you were a JMU grad! My husband graduated from there in 2004. Hopefully some day he'll take me back to his old stomping grounds -- I've heard it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sooooooo fun!! What a beautiful wedding!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dress is AMAZING! And yay for the curl down!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your dress! The colors are fantastic for a daytime wedding. I'm jealous. I didn't buy any clothes when I went to Europe and I regret it now.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cute pics! How tall is your hubby?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful wedding! Love those seersucker suits!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the dress you wore! What a beautiful wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your dress! And your hair. And your pictures. :) Pretty, pretty. Weddings are fun. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great wedding. And the bride's dress is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I totally know where Klines is!!! I'm glad you had a great time at the wedding!

    ReplyDelete
  20. You look gorgeous! I love that dress!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely love your dress and I'll be trying that curl down technique soon!

    ReplyDelete
  22. gorgeous pictures! that dress you have on is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete