Tuesday, September 7, 2010

1 down, 182 to go!

What a day.

The first day of school is a fun one, always filled with jitters and anxiety. I can happily report that no children got lost or injured under my watch today. Let's hope we can keep that up all year.

This morning before leaving the house I made J take a first day of school picture of me. This is for you mom! I was actually inspired to do this when Lianna posted about her first day of school a few weeks ago on her blog.


As far as first day of school fashion goes amongst the 5th grade girls, here's what I gathered is in...lace leggings, colorful and printed knee high socks, and lots of skinny jeans. I doubt I'll fit into their cool club this year. No lacy leggings on these legs.

Among the 5th grade boys, shaggy hair and shouting out all the time seems to be cool. We're gonna have to nip that last one in the bud.

One other thing I want to mention about back to school is how happy I am to be reuniting with my pillow. I sleep so well during the school year. SO WELL. If a marching band were playing in the room, I'd likely sleep through it. Seriously. In the summer I sleep alright, but not a solid deep sleep like I get after a day of teaching. This is probably my favorite part about the year starting up again!

Happy sleeping and teaching!

19 comments:

  1. We have a dress code (I work at a private school) but I did see the shaggy hair trend and brightly colored knee socks. I'm sure the lace leggings will come out when we get a casual day the last Friday of the month...

    I sleep really well during the school year too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so pretty!

    Wait, knee socks? Lace leggings? Am I having a flashback to second grade?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I think your fashion looks much better than theirs sounds. Glad you had a great first day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so glad your first day went well! you're so right about the sleeping!! i have the best night sleeps when i'm working!! :)

    oh and my fifth grade girls are obsessed with tutus over their pants...so fun...haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you look so cute! I love the first day of school pic... I hope you make it a tradition! I'm glad day one went well and I can't wait to hear all about your adventures this year :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here's to a great year! I'm still waiting to hear about where I'll be placed for my observations this semester but until then I'll get my "teacher" fix reading your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are such a cute little teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so cute!!! I envy your professional footwear!

    Also - Skinny jeans on small children freak me out. Although I guess 5th graders aren't all that small... but when I see skinny jeans at GAP Kids I always chuckle!

    Happy First Day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Talking out seems to be the trend with my 3rd grade boys as well! I agree that I'm going to sleep like a baby tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am glad you had a great first day. You look adorable as always. Hey I saw your tunic you got at Kmart on Clearance for 4.99. I almost bought it but decided not to. Have a great rest of the week. love ya girl

    ReplyDelete
  11. I talked about you in class tonight!! :) Only good things, of course!!

    I'm glad you had a great first day back. My kids did, too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you had a great day!!! I'm going to miss kids crazy outfits, uniforms aren't nearly as fun!

    ReplyDelete
  13. you look pretty on your first day of school ; i'm happy everything went well ! Tell me how old are 5th grade pupils?
    morgane

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy First Day of School!! So glad it went smoothly...

    ReplyDelete
  15. So happy your first day back went well! Such a cute idea to take a back to school picture and I love your outfit! I hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awwww, you look adorable!!!! :) Glad it was a great first day. A little late I know, but just getting caught up!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the little handprint tote bag! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. 5th grade boys - shoo! They WILL keep you on your toes! We do 5th grade reading buddies, and I can just smell the hormones starting!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awww, I love that you took a "first day of school" picture. You look so cute!

    ReplyDelete