Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Goodbye Sandy Dog

Yesterday my family said goodbye to our 11 (almost 12) year old Lakeland Terrier, Sandy.


We got Sandy when I was in the ninth grade. And man, was she a cute puppy. She looked like a tiny teddy bears with big floppy ears. So cute. I wish I had a picture of her from this time on my computer just so you guys would all be jealous of how cute a puppy we had!

One of my favorite parts about Sandy was when we'd let her hair grow out. You could never see her eyes. It only added it her cuteness!


She always was quite the model. If you pulled out your camera and said a key word like "walk" or "dinner" you always got a good head tilt in pictures. This one of her and my mom and Layla is one of my all time favorites. Sandy is so posed and Layla looks so noble and royal sitting up tall.


She was very loved by our whole family....

[My little brother and sister with her]

Back in August my parents woke up one morning to her having a seizure. She had several more before they could take her to the vet. In the past few months, she just hasn't been the same dog. She's become violent, falls down often, and doesn't acknowledge people. Her entire personality is gone and the vet has told my parents it would only get worse. With her deteriorating health and more seizures, the vet and my parents decided it was time to let her go.

It's been a hard past few months with her being ill, and this past week has been the hardest. She was a wonderful dog for the 11+ years we've had her. It's amazing how pets really become a member of your family. She was so loved and she will be sorely missed.

[Me and Sandy, summer 2007]

21 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry you had to say goodbye to your sweet girl. That blows.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so sorry for you! I know from loosing my 11 year old family cat this weekend that it's not a fun thing to go through. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww.so sorry about losing Sandy. She looks like our Sophie in the face..what a sweetheart...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry to hear about Sandy. Losing a pet hurts like losing any other member of your family - The Boom and I will be thinking sweet terrier thoughts for you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry to hear about your dog! It's the hardest thing watching them get worse and worse...losing a family pet sucks

    ReplyDelete
  6. what a sweet dog! so sorry :( our family dogs were brother and sister and it's so sad to see them go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful dog. So sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So so sorry!!!!! Makes me want to hug my dog a little tighter tonight!!! Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So sorry. :( I remember the day my parents had to have our family dog put down. We had gotten him when I was seven and put him down the summer we I got married. He was literally a part of my life for as long as I can remember. The day we took him in, I felt like there was a slideshow of all my favorite moments with him running through my head... sad day, but good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so sorry! That is always a tough experience. Sandy was an adorable dog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Losing a dog is like losing a family member. They're one thing that you'll never really replace. We're thinking about you and your parents.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Rachel..this breaks my heart. No one can ever love the way a pet does. Being a mommy of 2 fur balls, I know that when the time comes that they pass away, I will be heart broken. Thinking of you and your family during this time. :( Sandy, was so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so sorry, losing a pet is terrible! Its amazing how a pet can become such an important part of your family. Sandy was an adorable dog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm so sorry! What a beautiful dog! I know you'll miss her.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I really am sorry for the loss of your pet. They really do become family.. It's so hard to say goodbye. She was an adorable dog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm sorry you all had to say goodbye to her.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am so sorry to hear this! I love my pup to pieces, so I can only imagine how hard that had to have been. She was such a cutie also! I'll be thinking of you and your family as you deal with this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm so sorry! It's always hard to lose a member of the family!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so sorry - such a tough thing, I know.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So so sorry to hear about Sandy. We lost our family Golden almost five years ago, and I still think about her.

    ReplyDelete
  21. My heart breaks for your family and Sandy dog- what a great dog! I am glad you had so many good years with her.

    ReplyDelete