Thursday, September 30, 2010

Texas Caviar Dip

As promised on Sunday, I have a delicious dip recipe to share with you. But I can't take credit for it, at all! I found it on Megan's recipe blog: Sugar and Spice! I have made this dip twice and both times it's been a hit. It's so fresh and so simple. A great alternate to salsa!

Texas Caviar

Ingredients

2 Cans of black eyed peas with jalapenos
1 Can original Rotel
2 Medium sized avocados
1 Large green bell pepper
1/2 Large purple onion
1 Lime
3/4 Cup Zesty Italian

Directions

Dice avocados, bell pepper & onion and put in large bowl. Cut lime in half and squeeze juice over avocados, bell pepper & onion. The lime is to give flavor and preserve the avocado. Place black eyed peas in strainer and rinse then, add to add to bowl. Poor can of Rotel in the bowl with it's juice. Finally, add the Zesty Italian. Mix with a large spoon. Don't stir too hard or much as the avocados could get smushy depending on the ripeness you buy.

If you try to eat the dip right away, the bell pepper and onion will be quite crunch. It is best if the bowl sits in the fridge and everything marinates for a while.

I didn't have a green bell pepper this past week so I used a yellow one. I actually like the color it gave the dip.


It was so yummy!

8 comments:

  1. I have never head this before but everybody blogs about how delicious it is.... I think I need to make it and decide for myself, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks delicious and healthy! I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My boss gave me this recipe a few years ago and I absolutely love it. I think I could eat a whole big bowl full if I would let myself!

    REBrown
    rekdbrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, Love, LOVE Texas Caviar! It's my Go-To New Year's Day Offering! But I admit... I usually cheat and buy it from Central Market - but this recipe looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm this looks delish! I think I am going to make it tomorrow night along with baked brie for a little get together... thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never had this. Might have to try it!!

    And are you rocking the curl down?! Your hair looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy!!! This made me hungry!!

    PS - I have that colander too!! :)

    PPS - Just found your blog, and I'm looking forward to following you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anytime you can dice up a ton of veggies is a good time! AND eat it with tortilla chips? Double YUM!!

    ReplyDelete