Monday, October 4, 2010

Menu Monday + some meal planning answers

First things first...I have had several comments on my most recent menu monday posts asking why J and I eat separately. I think I mentioned this months ago, but I can see how it might seem crazy if you're a new reader. We eat together every night...we just share the cooking!

I married a man who loves cooking as much as I do and we alternate and switch off cooking. When we make our meal plans, he always picks 2 meals, I pick 2, and then one of us takes the 5th meal. This is what typically happens. We of course have our off weeks where we only plan 4 meals or even 3, but we typically do 5 meals a week. The other night of the week we eat leftovers or go out. This system works well for us. I have more meal planning tips listed here.

And now onto this week's meals...lots of new things on the menu. I'm a little nervous to try new things, but I also love finding a new dish that we both love.

My Meals:
  • Gorgonzola and Pear Risotto...recipe coming later this week! This is my own recipe, don't want to post it until I know exactly how it's gonna turn out.
  • Paula Dean's Grilled Southern Panzanella Salad with London Broil. I watched The Food Network while working out tonight and this salad by Paula Dean looks so delicious, and not really all that bad for you. Rare for Paula Dean! I am subbing plain yogurt for mayo in the dressing of the salad. Trying to make it a little more healthy!
  • Chorizo and Black Bean Soup...this is a definite favorite from last fall! It is SO tasty and simple. I highly recommend this if you're a soup fan!
J's Meals:

6 comments:

  1. Do you go grocery shopping once a week after you plan out your meals or do you go as needed? Just curious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's so cool that you two switch off planning and cooking. My guy is fantastic about doing what I need him to do (he calls himself my sous chef), but if I had to leave entire meals to him, well.... no thanks. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that yall trade off cooking. Preston does most of the cooking only because I work out right after work and don't get home until around 8 so he has dinner waiting. Love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that you and J share meal preparation duties. Nick and I do the same. It's so nice some nights to come home to a meal that's already in the oven. P.S. Bookmarking the black bean and chorizo soup recipe now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'm going to do a meal planning post soon - I've been having a lot of email conversations with bloggers about it lately!!

    That gorgonzola and pear risotto sounds delicious - and I dont like risotto!! Can't wait to hear how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Though I would get QUITE the chuckle if you & J DID eat separately :) It would be fun to see who "got" the better meals!

    Do you bake? Or have dessert?

    Breakfast for dinner is one of my very favorites!!

    By the way, I have started the book!

    ReplyDelete