Tuesday, October 12, 2010

My Italy recreation recipe

So during last week's Menu Monday post, I mentioned I was going to make Gorgonzola Pear Risotto. When we were on our trip this summer, we ate at a restaurant one night in Genoa, Italy that is known for their risotto. I was, naturally, in heaven. Over the past year, risotto has quickly raced up the charts on its way to being my favorite food. It's like an adult version of mac and cheese. So creamy and delicious, but a little more grown up. Plus, people who don't cook are mad impressed when you tell them you made risotto for dinner last night. Its' really a piece of cake, but for some reason it impresses people. At our Italian risotto heaven restaurant, I ordered gorgonzola and pear risotto...


And it was fan-freakin-tastic! The combo of the sweet pears and the bold Gorgonzola was perfect! I remember to saying to J at the restaurant that night, "I'm gonna recreate this meal!", And here we are 3 months later and I've done it.

Here's what ya need...

(PS: can you tell I have a Trader Joe's problem?)

Y'all...this is good. Really, really good. It's cheesy and wonderful and everything a risotto dish should be!

Here's the finished dish...I admit, the photo doesn't look appetizing, it looks quite blah, but trust me on this one, it's so, so tasty!

14 comments:

  1. I love the combination of pears and Gorgonzola. And I love risotto. So you know I'll be making this dish this fall!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love making risotto, too - it's so calming and meditative to sit there and stir and sip. (Sipping the wine you cook with is obviously mandatory.) This looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmmmmmmmrisotto. Mmmmmmmmmmakingrisotto.

    Love it x 2!

    Have you ever made risotto cakes out of your leftovers? Maybe not with this one (b/c of the fruit?) but it's the best way to make lunch the next day happy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This made me laugh because I TOO have a Trader Joe's problem. I'm a little obsessed! And that risotto looks sooo good! Good job re-creating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgonzola and pear sounds amazing together!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yum I'm so proud of you for recreating this! I wouldn't know where to start. I have never made risotto before but have been dying to make a recipe for it that Pioneer woman has...now this really makes me want to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like it would be sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love cooking and have always wanted to try making risotto! this looking incredible...yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing! I totally want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That looks so good. And since I know you won't drink it, I could finish that bottle of wine while I ate dinner with you. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh. My. Word.

    I need to make this. I think my son would be the only adventurous diner, but I couldn't imagine a more perfect dinner date. ;)

    Oh, Trader Joe's...I haven't been there in so long. You need to clue me in on your shopping secrets because I'd get in trouble if I shopped there on the regular. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always wanted to try making risotto, but always thought it would be really difficult. I definitely want to add this to my list of recipes to try!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have been wanting to make this ever since you first posted it. I finally did and it was just as amazing as it sounded! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete