Sunday, October 24, 2010

Waiting for Superman

Yesterday J and I went to see Waiting for Superman...



Going into this movie I was prepared for a lot of mixed emotions. As a fourth year public school teacher, I know far too well that our system is flawed, but I don't think all the blame should be put on teachers*. I was afraid this would be what the movie focused on. I can gladly report that it didn't.

*But trust me....I definitely believe there are bad teachers out there. In fact, we can say I know there are bad teachers in our schools. My first year I witnessed many teachers who had a job only because of tenure.


This documentary spells out the problems our schools are facing in a way that doesn't blame just one person or one group. It shows that there are GREAT teachers out there doing the best job they can and making an impact on children, but it also showed that there are teachers out there who are doing nothing to serve the children in their classrooms. Teachers who tell children that they will earn a paycheck regardless or not that child learns. It discusses how politicians are holding schools back on the national, state and local level. And it went into great detail about the way teacher unions are stopping schools from becoming great. There was only one other factor that I think comes into play that was not addressed**.

If you want to know more about the problems facing our schools, or if you want to see real children whose education system is failing them, or if you just want to see a well made documentary, go see this. It will be worth every penny you pay. I think every American, with or without children, would benefit from going to see this.

**I don't feel comfortable posting that on my public blog...if you're curious email me or direct message me on twitter...I have lots to say on the issue!

14 comments:

  1. Oh my. I'm a kindergarten teacher in a public school and this preview made me cry! My hubby and I do Netflix these days (aka we're never in the theater anymore) so I hadn't even HEARD of this movie until now, but I definitely need to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am dying to see this! I teach in a private school, but I'm still very interested in what this film has to say. I'm glad to hear that they don't blame just teachers the whole time because it's more than that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Being a teacher has to be one of THE most stressful jobs on the planet! Knowing that you are trusted with countless childrens' futures is a huge responsibility. It takes a very special person to do what you are doing. Children never forget that one amazing teacher that sees their potential when others may not!

    REBrown
    rekdbrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really want to see this movie! I work in ed policy/research so I know how many problems there are to solve in education and how important it is for children that we do so. I have so much respect for good teachers and how much work it is to teach!

    ReplyDelete
  5. kindergarten teacher here in a title I school...very interested in seeing this movie. thanks for your honest input. I agree with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am a MAT student and I am getting my first experience in a classroom right now. I am in a 1st grade class at a school that is 93% free and reduce lunch. It is a crazy experience. It makes me love and be afraid of being a teacher. Eek! Had not seen this preview before but want to see the movie now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adam and I have been dying to see this - it's super hard to see the schools downtown and the standard of learning our kiddos are held to - and Adam was really disappointed in a lot of things with the system when he was a teacher too . . . I'm going to email you cause I'm definitely interested in your opinions on this - particularly in trying to figure out how we can best supplement and advocate for our kiddos education downtown . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen this yet because we live in DC and I can't express enough how exhausting it's been to constantly hear about Michelle Rhee and all the controversy and the election - just nonstop and at yelling volumes at that. Honestly I think we just have heartburn on the issue - even though I know that's not helping anything. T has a good friend who's starting a charter school in town and working hard on lots of these issues, and I find dinners with her to be absolutely inspiring. I know I'll see this documentary eventually... but to do so enjoyably now I'd have to have lived in a hole the last six months without access to local media, if that makes any sense. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the movie! My teaching program cohort is going to go see it sometime in the next few weeks. I would be curious to hear more of your thoughts on the movie (via email) if you have a few minutes. I also just requested you on Twitter! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Student Teacher - 2nd grade. This brought tears to my eyes. Our district is facing horrible opposition to our operating levy. We have only enough cash to run the school for 3 weeks next year.

    Thank you for sharing this trailer. My husband and I also Netflix, so I'm out of touch with what is available at the theater. Wish it was showing closer to home!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so happy to hear that it didn't completely bash teachers the entire time. I can't wait to see this movie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm not sure how I clicked on your blog tonight but your menu looked yummy so I kept reading! I haven't heard of this movie yet but I am now putting it on to-see list.
    As a former public school teacher (staying at home now), it will be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been dying to see this movie for months! It's a huge hot-button issue with me. There are definitely terrible teachers out there, but I think more blame should definitely be placed on government and society as a whole. I think it's great that people are finally taking note of the issues. No wonder some people home-school their children! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to see it. It blew up news broadcasts about a month ago. I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I finally saw this. LOVED it. Made me sad and made me want to change things. I went to public school K-12 and had amazing teachers and horrid ones. In High School I was "Honors Tracked" and because of that had a great HS experience but the non-honors classes at my high school were a joke.
    I'd love to hear what you thought was left out??? Will you email me?

    ReplyDelete