Sunday, November 21, 2010

Feeling Fly Like It's Quidditch

As the whole world already knows, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out in theaters this week. Since I have a husband who wants nothing to do with ol' Harry (sad face), I have a date to see it with my little brother on Wednesday night when I get to Richmond for Thanksgiving with my family.

With all the hype surrounding the new movie, it's gotten me thinking about my long past with Harry and Hogwarts, and all the memories that go along with it.

I started reading Harry Potter in 2001 when my English teacher, a crazy Irish woman named Ms. Flanagan, let me borrow her copies of the first four books. I had heard about these books, but they sounded like something I'd have no interest in. But being the persistent woman that she was, Mrs. Flanagan wouldn't let up till I gave them a try. And here I am almost 10 years later thanking my lucky stars that she pushed these books on me. Some of my favorite memories from high school, college, and even adult hood involve JK Rowling's beautifully written books.

When the first movie came out in November 2001, my friends and I made a paper chain to count down the days till the movie came out. Each chain had a characters name on it. Days 5-1 went like this...

5 - Hagrid
4 - Hermione
3 - Ron
2 -Dumbledore
1 - HARRY!

Since then, I have been to the premiers of most of the movie and the book releases for books 5-7. The hype that lead up to the book releases was one of the greatest feelings. And dressing up for a movie premier...well there's nothing dorkier or more fun.

Movie Premiers:



Book Releases:


And now, just for fun, Classy Fab Sarah shared this with me on twitter yesterday and I have watched it a dozen times. HILARIOUS!


12 comments:

  1. Love all the pictures! I love hearing about how HP has been ingrained in other peoples' lives, it has meant so much to me over the years. It will be the series I read to my kids! It took me a while to be brave enough to dress up, though...I think the 4th movie was the first time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see it but I don't think that will happen anytime soon!! Can't wait for it to come out on video! How sad am I??

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAHAH, that video is hilarious! I too LOVE HP, and can't wait to see the new movie! I'm hoping to squeeze it in while we're home over Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. saw the movie last night and loved it! the movies sure have changed since the first one though..much more geared towards teens/adults.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE me some HP! Unfortunately we now live in a town with zero babysitters :( so I have to wait to see this one.. Maybe I can convince the hubs to take me when we go home for Thanksgiving. I love that you've dressed up for the movies!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha! That video is great! I haven't seen the new movie yet but I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Loving the Hogwarts outfits! I can't wait to be able to go see the movie...I adore HP!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this! My husband and I have gone to a lot oft he book releases and movies together, the most I'll ever get him in are the glasses for one picture.

    I'll be so sad when they are all over!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so cute! I just found out my cousin is playing quidditch in college. True and hysterical! He went to a tournament in NYC last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The detail in these books is just amazing! I thought I'd have no interest in them either, but I was shocked when I completely fell in love with the series. I can't wait to see the movie, but I think I need to re-read some of the later books. One of my friends saw the movie this weekend and she was referencing some things I don't remember...

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's so awesome that you dress up for premieres. I have never done that but I LOVE the movies. I can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete