Monday, January 3, 2011

Menu Monday: NYE Style

Back in October J and I decided we wanted to have a little NYE bash at our home. I was excited to order real invitations (no evites for me!), make a lot of delicious food, use some of our serving dishes that rarely get used, have some drinks, and celebrate with a handful of friends.

invites from tinyprint.com

And celebrate we did! We had four other couples come over, played some catch phrase, scared Layla with the noise makers, and ate more food than we probably should have.

I spent most of last week prepping food for the party, which made the day of very stress free. I had most the dishes prepped and really just had to put most things in the oven on the day of. I am not normally a planner, but in this case I was sure glad that I planned ahead. It made it much easier.


I did a lot of appetizers and a few sweets. I didn't think it was possible to do dinner, mainly because we don't have the space for 10 people to sit down to eat a full meal. But lots of appetizers ended up being perfect. Here's what I served...


Baked Brie and Crackers


Sausage Queso Dip with Frito Scoops (in the mini crock pot painted by my niece!)


Hungry Girl Buffalo Chicken Dip


Scallop and Jalapeno Bites, courtesy of Trader Joe's


Fruit Plate


Veggies, Pita Chips, and Hummus


Sausage Balls


Cookies and Cream Fudge & Chocolate Oatmeal Bars

I had also planned to make PW's Holiay Bacon Appetizers, but I kind of forgot to put them on a drying rack to bake, and the crackers just got soaked in bacon grease. Oops! You live and learn!

Fun times were had by all...here's me and my main squeeze, ready to start the new year:


And just for laughs, I have to tell you about these hats...


Clearly it was a New Year's Eve Party, not a birthday party. But when this busy girl went to the Dollar Store to buy noise makers, she saw these party tiaras right beside them. In a rush, I picked them up, thinking they said "Happy New Year" and they'd be perfect for the party, When I got home, J opened the bag and asked why I bought "Happy Birthday" hats. We made the best of it and wore them anyway...it provided for a few laughs for everyone!

20 comments:

  1. That queso dip with the sausage looks delicious! Yum!

    I had sausage balls in North Carolina once. So delicious. They aren't a thing in California. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hilarious about the hats -- that is so something I would do. You could say it was the birthday of a New Year??? :)

    The food looks great! Nice work

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMMM! Looks like lots of great food and a good time. Love your cardigan by the way! Where is it from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food looks great and so does your sweater! Very festive

    REBrown
    rekdbrown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your food looks delish!! I love the hat story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. SO fun!!!! ALL the food looks delish!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The spread looks great! I'm glad you were stress-free on the day of the party and had a fun time with your friends -- birthday hats and all!

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks awesome! especially the hats :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So fun!! I love little dinner parties like that. And you're such a good cook I'm sure it was incredible!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. All of your food looks wonderful, and I absolutely love your sweater! It's sparkly without being over the top! You can get so much more use out of that than a sparkly dress. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So cute! I love the invitations, and that you got real invitations, that makes it even more fun:) Your food looks delicious too, and I think I'm going to go buy some pineapple now! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHA! Love the bday hats!! The food looks delish too. So glad you had a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Everything looks amazing!!!! And, at least you have a story to tell about the hats!

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks like a fantastic party! Your invites were adorable, and the story about the hats is too funny! : )

    ReplyDelete
  15. Those hats are hilarious! And, I wish I had been at your party - that food looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the invitations! I should do paper invitations some time! And that food looks so good- love baked brie. You crack me up with the hats :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're such a great little hostess... birthday hats and all! :-) I admire people who can host parties. We had two other couples over to watch a football game and I stressed myself out over just that!

    ReplyDelete
  18. All of the food looks delicious! I am so impressed. It sounds like the party was a huge success. Hope you're having a great 2011 so far :)

    ReplyDelete