Monday, January 31, 2011

Menu Monday...4 wins and 1 big fail

Another week is here, and another week of meals have been served. Overall, this week was okay. Nothing spectacular, but it was mostly good. Let's begin...

My Meals:



I make this probably once a month, but there's a good reason. A few good reasons, actually. It's delicious, it's easy, and best of all, it's healthy. I love so many of the recipes from IGE blog. She is health conscious but still makes great food.




This is another recipe from my mom. It's fairly low in calories and fat, and vegetarian friendly. I posted about it a year ago in a post on here, but the link above will take you to the recipe on my Tasty Kitchen page.


J's Meals:



This really was that yellow thanks to to turmeric in it. It was tasty, but rich. It had a lot of flavor. A bread or pita would have gone well with it to break up the flavor.


Pasta Fagioli & French Bread & Sparkly Water


I think J's made this soup before, and just like last time, it was hearty and great. He subbed ground turkey for the ground beef. The sparkling water is more a joke but I had to add it. I needed several glass bottles with twist on lids for a science project in class last week (preferabbly not wine since they were for the kiddos), and so I came home Tuesday night with 3 large bottles of sparkling water, and we managed to drink all 3 by the morning. It felt like we were in Europe all over again.

And J's third meal was paninis with sweet potato fries

BUT....it didn't quite work out.
He did the grocery shopping this week, and after he shopped, he learned that I don't like rye bread, or thick cut deli meat. So as he was getting ready to make this for us before I ran out the door at 7pm for a meeting one night last week, he quickly learned I wouldn't like many of the components of this meal. So we called it a bust. He ate the paninis on his own and I had pasta with butter when I got home from my meeting.

You win some, you lose some!

SO...that's what we had last week. What's cooking in your home?

14 comments:

  1. Let me clarify...as in your made pasta and put butter on it and ate it? Because if that is true, that is amazing, as I thought I was the only person in the world who did that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely consider 4/5 a big success! Thanks for sharing all these fantastic menu ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those burrito bowls are one of my favorite things. So easy, healthy and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to make those burrito bowls now! If only my meal plan wasn't made for the week. Next week, for sure! I also have been wanting to try the CrockPot365 soup... I absolutely LOVE her cookbook. The gumbo is one of our favorites. I also am happy to know that I am not the only person in the world who eats pasta with butter. I do add a little garlic salt, though. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just jumped on the sweet potatoe fries bandwagon .... holy cow AMAZING!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally want to try those burrito bowls. I have had that recipe saved for a few months now, and I might just have to try it out next week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making that burrito bowl tonight. Even if that means I have to run to the store (again!) in the midst of the snowpocalypse.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Iowa Girl Eats:) I'm also from Iowa so I feel all small-worldish when I hear another blogger who reads hers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. mmmm, love burrito bowls! bookmarked! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had IGE's burrito bowl last night! So yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I made the burrito bowl for dinner. AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must make that burrito bowl soon! looks delish. & pasta + butter + grated parmesean cheese is yummo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE those burrito bowls, but I tend to forget about them. Definitely need to make those next week!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I always love it when you do Iowa Girl Eats ;)

    ReplyDelete