Friday, February 4, 2011

Fictonal Friday: Part 1

I know I'm not the only one out there who has a love for all things fiction. I love a good book or tv show, and I quickly develop crushes on characters from these fictional worlds. Sometimes it's a real "I could so marry you even though I already have a handsome and wonderful" crush, and other times it's more of a "I want to be you BFF" crush. I find that I quickly, and easily become enthralled in these made up places, and I even dream about them. Anyone else?

For the next few weeks I'm going to do a Fiction Friday on here where I'm going to feature one piece of fiction (show, movie, book) that I can't get enough. Some of you might think this makes me a big loser, but I have no shame in admitting my love for people and places that don't really exist.

So onto this week's choice...


I know that the show was called 24, but let's be honest, it should have been the Jack Bauer show. That Jack Bauer just melts me to pieces with his torture tactics, his raspy voice, and his ability to never pee in a 24 hour period.

Here's how my love began...when J and I started dating in 2004, neither of us were 24 watchers. My dad had always been a big fan (sorry for ever doubting you Dad!), but I had never jumped on board. When we both went back to our respective colleges in January 2005 for spring semester, we both had groups of friends who watched the show. We both started watching with said friends, and instantly we were both hooked. Even though we were 9 hours apart, it kind of became "our thing" and we spent every Monday night breaking down the details of that week's episode over the phone.

The following summer we watched all of season 2 together in about 30 hours. It was bad. We were both sleep deprived and crazy and feeling like we were actually working for CTU and the Russians (or whoever the bad guys were that season) were after us, but oh....it was also so, so good. In a kind of crazy and twisted way.

The whole world of CTU and Jack and the rest of his team, I just got so wrapped up in it. I've never watched a show where I rooted for someone as passionately as I did for Jack.

And then Jack + Chloe? And Tony? AND PALMER?! Oh people, I miss this fine show.





I know it got not so great there at the end, but I'll always be a fan. This show did so many things well. The plots and pace of the show were fabulous, and that "tick tock" sound will always hold a special place in my heart.

So 'fess up, who else out there had a major crush on Jack, and couldn't stand the 6 days in between episodes?

Images via 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

11 comments:

  1. I LOVED lost & alias but never watched 24...feel like I need to jump on that bandwagon. seems right up my ally!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, funny. I love this idea! And I totally get that way about certain characters as well. I've never watched 24 either, but I have always meant to start the first season on Netflix! Have a great Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have an award for you on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My dad and brother both love 24 and I think their love has transferred to me... gosh, it's just so EXCITING. But I kinda hate Jack sometimes. Chloe is my girl.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I must be B-O-R-I-N-G. I don't watch this show or much of any TV...just always super busy. When U finally sit to relax, it's re-run time of Everybody Loves Raymond. (JOY!)

    The rest of my family has been hooked on 24 since day 1. I'm always left out of the dinner conversations. Ha! :)

    BTW - Hi! I'm your newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE 24 and it is hilarious that you think it should be called the Jack Bauer Show.... because I used ask my hubs if he was ready to watch some more "Jack Bauer" as we were catching up on seasons. He would quickly remind me it was called 24, not Jack Bauer! ha!

    We too started watching after the show had been on a while and would stay up way past our usual bedtimes to get in "just one more" episode. I am sure we said the words "how about one more" more while we were watching full seasons at a time than we have in our lives! :o)

    Don't be too sad about the end of Jack Bauer... they are making a movie!!!! YEAH!!! here is the trailer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04NgOTogNlY

    ReplyDelete
  7. 24- great show. We made it through the first 3 seasons and then stopped for some reason- we should get back to watching it. It is such a good show!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never watched 24! I really want to get it on dvd.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I somehow missed the 24 bandwagon, and now it's just too last to start watching. My loss :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't watch 24, but I get what you mean by getting so caught up in something like a book or show!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Christine T.W.2/8/11, 5:40 PM

    I love Jack so much I named my car after him because he never dies.

    ReplyDelete