Sunday, March 6, 2011

big changes...

If you follow me on twitter, none of this is a big surprise...I've shared the big news over there already.

But for all my non twitter blog readers...here's our big news.

Our little family of 3...


Is now a family of 4!

No, there is no baby in the picture...instead we've adopted a 3 year old shepherd mix named Rosie. And she might just be the sweetest, most gentle dog I've ever met.


Did I also mention that she's giant? Layla is 65 pounds, but not so tall or long, mostly just fat! Rosie is probably 75 pounds, but doesn't seem to have any fat on her body. She's just BIG! But despite her big appearance, she's really just a giant ball of love.


We adopted Rosie through an animal rescue group in Richmond called HAPPE. A very good friend of my family volunteers through this organization, and we've also been passionate about rescue dogs. When we saw Rosie's picture on their facebook page two weeks ago, we were both smitten. It took some convincing with J, but by last Sunday, we had made some phone calls and we were ready to try to be the owners of 2 dogs.

On Thursday evening we drove up to Richmond to meet Rosie, and while we loved Rosie, Layla wasn't all too fond of her. Layla is an ONLY dog, and she sure behaves like it. Some might even call her spoiled. After talking to the foster mom and meeting Rosie, we decided to take Rosie on a "trial" run. We're 4 days in and we're in love. Even alpha dog Layla is slowly coming around and learning to accept her. They finally wrestled this afternoon and it made me so happy to see them play.

We're making sure to give Layla lots of attention so she doesn't feel like we've abandoned her...


These next 2 pictures cracks me up. Rosie wants to just love on Layla and kiss her and be near her. Can you tell?


It also makes me laugh because Rosie's giant snout kind of mimics an alligator...no?


I promise that she's a lot nicer than an alligator!! So far, we're so happy with how things are going. We're pretty sure she's here to stay!


28 comments:

  1. YAY Rosie! What a pretty dog. Having two dogs is fun after the adjustment period is over, I am sure Layla and Rosie are going to be best buds before you know it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thats awesome, congrats! Sometimes the bigger the dog the more friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awwww! Sweet! I want a dog. If you want to help pay for it and take care of it, my kids will love you forever! Lol. We really do want one...just can't handle it right now. So sweet that you adopted her. Enjoy your growing family! :) Too cute. Love those funny pics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NOT the kind of announcement I was expecting!!!!! After the title and the first pic of your family of three!

    But I am VERY happy for you! Two sweet girls!

    Congrats!

    xo,
    Sara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yay for Rosie! Congrats on the new addition!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aw, Rosie looks so excited to be with Layla, and Layla's like "whatever"! haha They are too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awww that's so exciting! Bringing in a new dog is tough at first, but so worth it in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awww, that's so great! I have a HUGE soft spot for animals, especially dogs. She's a beautiful dog!

    http://lizabethmthomas-elizabeth.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! Rosie looks so sweet, and I am sure Layla will come around. My pup is totally an alpha dog (even to me unfortunatly...ha!), and it takes a little while for her to get used to other dogs (she is currently an only dog, but she does sometimes stay with my parent's 2 dogs). The one thing I have found is that you can't have bones around her and other dogs, she gets very territorial. Otherwise she gets along with them. I am sure eventually Rosie and Layla will be the best of friends though.

    ReplyDelete
  11. such a pretty, big dog! she looks so sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. aw so fun :-) congrats friend!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats! What a cutie! We just got a dog too

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adorable! I love big, lovey puppies! A sidenote, maybe I missed this before, but where did you get the carpet in your living room? I have been looking for one just like that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats! I am so so envious of those who can have dogs. My college apt won't allow it and it saddens me!!

    Those last two pictures made me giggle, that is so funny! And before I read your caption my thought was 'his snout looks like an alligator!'

    ReplyDelete
  16. YAY!! Welcome Rosie!!!

    And Rachel, she is just precious!! I'm so excited for y'all!! Having 2 dogs is crazy - but SO much fun!!

    p.s. When the heck is your Spring Break!? I miss you!!

    p.s.s. I'm going to see K on Wednesday! YAYYYY!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hah, good thing I follow you on Twitter, because I would have sworn you were going to announce you were pregnant given the beginning of that post!

    It's definitely scary introducing a second dog, so I'm happy to hear it's going well with Rosie! She's adorable!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congrats! Rosie is a beautiful dog:) My inlaws have a Rosie too, she's only 8 pounds though...haha! Hope Layla is doing okay. Two dogs is the way to go, in my opinion. They'll be playmates and companions for life.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knew you had adopted another dog, but I still thought maybe you were pregnant. haha! Rosie is so cute! I hope she and Layla become best buds.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yay Rosie!! She's so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awwww! My husband just started asking about getting a second dog. We got our first 3.5 months ago and live in a not so big apartment. I think if we had a house, we'd definitely have two dogs by now. Congrats on your new sweet doggie!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think Rosie is precious!! And, I'm so glad to know that Layla is coming around.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Rosie is so adorable!!! What a fun addition to your family!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Rosie is so cute and DOES look like a gator in that pic. Hilarious. Glad the dogs are getting along! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So cute! I love that you are sharing you are able to share your love for dogs with one more!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I'm so happy to hear that Layla is warming up to Rosie. I mean, how could she not? She looks like a total sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Rosie looks so sweet. Life with doggies are just simply better! Congrats on the new "baby".

    ReplyDelete